advertisement

Sound quality

I think sound quality as a parameter is over rated. I tend to go for great looks, special limited editions, five star review ratings, somthing that will blend in with our carefully chosen decor and above all something that will impress the neighbours when they come round for christmas drinks
Perhaps they should bring back those 50's radiograms ....a 10 disc spindle changer, slide back doors , fluro lighting with a cocktail bar included. It was the collection of lit up bottles of colored liqueurs that I think gave the 'gram.... its PRat.:D

If you want to hear the VU recording philosophy taken to the nth degree, check out Sister Ray on their "White Light White Heat" album.

Weird - I just listened to that yesterday. I have a yellow/red transparent disc. I hadn't listened to them for a long long time, rightly, and when I put it on I thought there was something wrong with my cartridge. Then I remembered it was supposed to sound like that. They sound like they're trying to win a deathmatch to break the noise-pain barrier. Actually, they sound like they've just won it and don't know how to stop. My wife thought the washing machine had broken during a cycle.

What I find incredible is people thinking that some of these 'recordings' are finest state of the Art presentations. That is forgetting whether one likes the content or loathes it. 95 % of the time one recognizes straightaway it is just a over-engineered conglomeration of plastic sonic soup.That they do not, you put it down to the fact that they did not wear industrial grade protective muffs to so many 'live' concerts. Yet then people probably suffering 'notch-deafness' are worrying about electric supplies to their house, whether their Hi Fi plumbing is Prat enough, whether this junk soup being heard is some impression of 'music', or signs of gremlins at work.
A bit like a incident when someone once played me a bit of a pre-recorded cassette of Deep Purple,. I noticed the VU meters immediately became stationary ....locked over into the 'hard red' zone or the duration. Should we now discuss its dynamic range???!!!
This all reminds me of kids with a souped up car, mag- wheels and a BIG BIG hi Fi system powered from its boot. Boom Boom Boom! It is all about 'giving THE impression but not actually HAVING it! And this blog is on 'sound quality? Jeeeeez!

Electricity supply variations. Naim and others sell separate power supplies for a reason.
Just like those ****y magnetic wrist brackets for 'one's state of balance' ..magic crystals.....diet/ cookery/ exercise DVDs ....laser gadgets to 'grow hair on bald heads' and fry one's brains and grow a brain tumour.....or erection vapors, pills and gadgets.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes
The reason....M O N E Y

A bit like a incident when someone once played me a bit of a pre-recorded cassette of Deep Purple,. I noticed the VU meters immediately became stationary ....locked over into the 'hard red' zone or the duration. Should we now discuss its dynamic range???!!!
Actually, some cassette decks are better than others at saturating tape without over-saturation. A childhood friend had a high-zoot Pioneer deck that he often recorded at up to +10dB on the peak meters without distortion, and would indeed peg the needles on my lowly Teac deck for the most part. But if I tried to record on my Teac at anything over +3dB, it'd crap out.

But I take your point.

James

To the original question and in addition to mood. Other factors can be poor sleep, a hangover or a cold, each of which can exacerbate brightness to the point where music is tiring to listen to. Unfortunately I've had cause to study this since I have tinnitus and theshold shift, which can make music unlistenable. If I've slept well, am clear headed and healthy (and am using my warm Linn / Exposure combo) it's listenable :)

Pete

advertisement

Back