advertisement

Sound Insulation / Proofing in Modern Semi Detached Home

Lefty

Trade: Amar Sood Photo
Long story, but I may soon have to move from my detached home to a semi-detached home, and I am concerned about sound proofing / insulation.

The semi is a relatively new build (2017 - David Wilson Homes) and I was wondering if I would be able to hear the neighbours (e.g. if they had a dog) or if they would be able to hear me (listening to my hifi / playing my electric guitar). Am I worrying over nothing?

Ideally I would like a detached but they are more expensive and the rooms are smaller!

Thanks for any help / advice :)

Lefty

Yes, you will hear some sound through the wall.

How bad is it likely to be? Faint muffled sounds, or being able to make out conversations? I lived in a 2001 build end-terrace back in 2010 and I don't remember it being too bad. I could hear if doors were slammed or voices were raised, but every day sounds were cut out pretty effectively.

Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself...

Lefty

I should know more about this but I don’t. I’m guessing that a 2017 build should be covered by Document E of the building regulations which specifies a minimum sound insulation performance between buildings. In which case, it’s a good place to start.
However, one man’s peace is another’s noise, so I’d recommend you develop a relationship with your new neighbours before winding up the wick. Bear in mind that they will see you as a transgression of their space, before you even making personal contact.
Neighbour noise nuisance (potential or otherwise) is a major factor in disputes, and it can escalate quickly.
Of course, if they are basically unreasonable bastards (check out the staffies, Range Rovers, and English flags), and then give it what you’ve got.

How bad is it likely to be? Faint muffled sounds, or being able to make out conversations? I lived in a 2001 build end-terrace back in 2010 and I don't remember it being too bad. I could hear if doors were slammed or voices were raised, but every day sounds were cut out pretty effectively.

Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself...

Lefty
As ever, it depends. Some places are screwed together properly, some less so. If you can get joining hallways, it's better. The bigger variable is how tolerant or deaf are you/your neighbours.

Nero is exactly right in terms of compliance.

And whether the party wall is twin-stud and plasterboard, or block work, the time frame indicated long also requiring party walls to have a nom 0 U-value (achieved by means of full-fill with mineral wool), which will help/ adds small but usefully-above above min England & Wales Part E reqt if 'only' timber twin-stud.

Lefty you know where to find me - happy to discuss any detail arising.
M

we live in terrace and we hardly hear anything.....apart from the arguments and loud sex, the noise of the headboard banging on the wall for hours on end.....oh and the moaning, screaming, the expletives.

The sound transmission levels specified by building regulations are fairly poor. You will likely hear more than you want to, but as stevec67 says it depends on the construction and house design.

I live in a terraced house built by David Wilson Homes in 2002. I would never buy a house from David Wilson again, the quality of finishing was dreadful and it took several years for all the snagging to be completed. One serious fault went on for 14 years and was eventually fixed by NHBC long after their 10 year warranty expired as we had reported it within that time. David Wilson Homes went out of business, then was resurrected as an upmarket brand of Barratts Housebuilders. Maybe the quality has improved since 2002 but how do you know until you've lived in a house?

The noise transmission through the walls is a bit of a nightmare to be honest. Luckily my neighbour on one side is mainly away and when he is there almost never uses the room that backs onto where my hifi is. However, we can sometimes actually hear him snoring at night! I think he must be deaf tbh. On the other side we have two small children who seem to have a thing for banging on walls and floors. They occasionally go away and rent the house out on AirBNB (subject of a thread some months ago) and I've had to ask visitors to turn music down at 2am weekdays twice in last few months.

Problem is, its an excellent location and a well designed and laid-out house, excellent sized rooms and space, just the build quality was very poor. I'm very surprised we are still here after 19 years! But if and when we do move (and we have been looking) it will only be to a fully detached house.

I have just finished a fairly major sound proofing project, which has proven to be highly successful.
Loads of links and costings, far to many to go into one piece on here - it is a fairly major thing to do but if you have time and are OK with DIY it's not hugely difficult.
As per Martin - happy to help and provide info if needed.
** for soundproofing I went down the sand /cardboard / gyproc plank route. And sealant, hundreds of tubes of sealant. Supported via studs and special mountings.
Some things are difficult to obtain right now unless you have contacts.

I should know more about this but I don’t. I’m guessing that a 2017 build should be covered by Document E of the building regulations which specifies a minimum sound insulation performance between buildings. In which case, it’s a good place to start.
However, one man’s peace is another’s noise, so I’d recommend you develop a relationship with your new neighbours before winding up the wick. Bear in mind that they will see you as a transgression of their space, before you even making personal contact.
Neighbour noise nuisance (potential or otherwise) is a major factor in disputes, and it can escalate quickly.
Of course, if they are basically unreasonable bastards (check out the staffies, Range Rovers, and English flags), and then give it what you’ve got.

Nero is exactly right in terms of compliance.

And whether the party wall is twin-stud and plasterboard, or block work, the time frame indicated long also requiring party walls to have a nom 0 U-value (achieved by means of full-fill with mineral wool), which will help/ adds small but usefully-above above min England & Wales Part E reqt if 'only' timber twin-stud.

Lefty you know where to find me - happy to discuss any detail arising.
M

I live in a terraced house built by David Wilson Homes in 2002. I would never buy a house from David Wilson again, the quality of finishing was dreadful and it took several years for all the snagging to be completed. One serious fault went on for 14 years and was eventually fixed by NHBC long after their 10 year warranty expired as we had reported it within that time. David Wilson Homes went out of business, then was resurrected as an upmarket brand of Barratts Housebuilders. Maybe the quality has improved since 2002 but how do you know until you've lived in a house?

The noise transmission through the walls is a bit of a nightmare to be honest. Luckily my neighbour on one side is mainly away and when he is there almost never uses the room that backs onto where my hifi is. However, we can sometimes actually hear him snoring at night! I think he must be deaf tbh. On the other side we have two small children who seem to have a thing for banging on walls and floors. They occasionally go away and rent the house out on AirBNB (subject of a thread some months ago) and I've had to ask visitors to turn music down at 2am weekdays twice in last few months.

Problem is, its an excellent location and a well designed and layed-out house, excellent sized rooms and space, just the build quality was very poor. I'm very surprised we are still here after 19 years! But if and when we do move (and we have been looking) it will only be to a fully detached house.

Thank you both for the feedback and information. It really is invaluable and I am greatly appreciative. That fact there are now regulations bodes well on the surface of it. I have looked into it and seems like the regulations were brought in back in 2003? It seems to state that there should be a minimum of 45dB of attenuation between homes in new builds. So I'm guessing this means that if I am playing my guitar / hifi at 85dB (probably what I would consider to be a 'loud' level), then you would hear it at 40dB next door? On the face of it, that seems pretty good?

However, then there is actual on the ground feedback from people like @alanbeeb and my brother in-law's girlfriend who have bought new builds and unfortunately have not had good experiences when it comes to the levels of sound proofing in their homes. Such a tricky one....

If it helps, here are the floor plans = the adjoining wall is on the left. Seems like we do have stairways / hallways between us as well for the most part. I was going to use the 2nd floor as an office / music room / man cave.

51699603983_71a19b2660_b.jpg

Lefty

I have just finished a fairly major sound proofing project, which has proven to be highly successful.
Loads of links and costings, far to many to go into one piece on here - it is a fairly major thing to do but if you have time and are OK with DIY it's not hugely difficult.
As per Andrew C - happy to help and provide info if needed.
** for soundproofing I went down the sand /cardboard / gyproc plank route. And sealant, hundreds of tubes of sealant. Supported via studs and special mountings.
Some things are difficult to obtain right now unless you have contacts.

Thank you - I really appreciate it. I've been reading up on it, but seems like it's expensive / tricky to do it properly. Makes me wonder whether I might be better off forking out the extra and going detached....

Lefty

Thank you both for the feedback and information. It really is invaluable and I am greatly appreciative. That fact there are now regulations bodes well on the surface of it. I have looked into it and seems like the regulations were brought in back in 2003? It seems to state that there should be a minimum of 45dB of attenuation between homes in new builds. So I'm guessing this means that if I am playing my guitar / hifi at 85dB (probably what I would consider to be a 'loud' level), then you would hear it at 40dB next door? On the face of it, that seems pretty good?

However, then there is actual on the ground feedback from people like @alanbeeb and my brother in-law's girlfriend who have bought new builds and unfortunately have not had good experiences when it comes to the levels of sound proofing in their homes. Such a tricky one....

If it helps, here are the floor plans = the adjoining wall is on the left. Seems like we do have stairways / hallways between us as well for the most part. I was going to use the 2nd floor as an office / music room / man cave.

51699603983_71a19b2660_b.jpg

Lefty

If the adjoining wall is on the left, then bedroom #2 looks the least likely to transfer sound to the neighbour.
A full carpet and lots of soft furnishings/wall hangings…
No speaker spikes coupling the speaker to the floor.

Good luck.

Thank you - I really appreciate it. I've been reading up on it, but seems like it's expensive / tricky to do it properly. Makes me wonder whether I might be better off forking out the extra and going detached....

Lefty
Well, don't go thinking detached would be a panacea for this issue - my neighbours son 'tries' to play the drums in his bedroom (lets be polite and say Phil Collins he aint) it drives us nuts in our living room over the sound of the TV..

If the adjoining wall is on the left, then bedroom #2 looks the least likely to transfer sound to the neighbour.
A full carpet and lots of soft furnishings/wall hangings…
No speaker spikes coupling the speaker to the floor.

Good luck.

Thank you - yes, bedrooms 2 and 3 seem to be well isolated / away from the adjoining walls.

Well, don't go thinking detached would be a panacea for this issue - my neighbours son 'tries' to play the drums in his bedroom (lets be polite and say Phil Collins he aint) it drives us nuts in our living room over the sound of the TV..

Sorry to hear that. A lot clearly also depends on the neighbours you end up with. We've been very lucky in our detached home these last 10 years with neighbours, but moving to a new house will be a risk in that regard...

Lefty

I've had dreadful experience with mental noisy neighbours in the past and sought out an end house with adjoining hallways and find that the isolation provided by the hallways really helps separate living areas and cuts the noise, looking at your plan I'd stick my system in bedroom 2...or go detached .

Long story, but I may soon have to move from my detached home to a semi-detached home, and I am concerned about sound proofing / insulation.

The semi is a relatively new build (2017 - David Wilson Homes) and I was wondering if I would be able to hear the neighbours (e.g. if they had a dog) or if they would be able to hear me (listening to my hifi / playing my electric guitar). Am I worrying over nothing?

Ideally I would like a detached but they are more expensive and the rooms are smaller!

Thanks for any help / advice :)

Lefty

as others have said, I believe you will hear your neighbours if they are noisy.

looking at the floor plans, the house seems to keep bedrooms away from adjoining walls. So your main problem( if there is to be one ) would probably be coming into your lounge.
Live with it for a while and if needed, you could always add more plasterboard to that wall.

regarding your noise escaping to them, bedroom one would seem a good choice. The only possible “ leak “ would be the actual door, and the small part of adjoining wall.
Again, more mass to adjoining wall.
You may want to add some more mass to the door. Plywood ???
If it is a panel door, consider filling in the panels with something prior to fixing the plywood.
Then rubber ( not foam) seals around the door casing.

if there isn’t a door at the top of the stairs, ( and it looks like there isn’t), consider adding one. It will be much cheaper than adding plaster to the adjoining wall in the stairwell.

good luck.

Thank you - yes, bedrooms 2 and 3 seem to be well isolated / away from the adjoining walls.

Bedroom 2 is above the kitchen and has another wall (Hallway) to help stop sound travelling, also it has the Bathroom twixt that room and the neighbour.

Also less potential to bother whoever is in the Living/Dining Room.

Bedroom #3 is next to the landing and staircase adjoining the neighbours wall, that would rule that out for me.

advertisement

Back