advertisement

Sound Cards with AES/EBU digital output

I'm looking at maybe building a silent digital media/music server. AES/EBU digital (or USB) output will be my preffered method.

Which sound card could/would you recommend which has both these outputs and also optical. Would like to find one with the actual jacks on the card rather than use the fly-lead which comes as standard.

I think you might be into £500 of Lynx L22 or similar. And the connectors won't be on the card since XLRs are too big...

There are some differences in subcode but otherwise S/PDIF and AES/EBU are similar except for the cabling. If you use a proper S/PDIF source it will have a transformer on its output, isolating the grounds of the two devices. I think a proper coax is a more stable transmission line than a twisted pair intended for analogue audio. I don't know what Dan Lavry's reasoning is, it would be interesting to know.

It would be quite possible to hack an M-Audio Audiophile 192 to have AES rather than S/PDIF.

Paul

Paul, I'll try and dig out the review where Dan recommended connection the DA10/11?? via AES/EBU. I remember the result being more than a just a subtle improvement.

Review was by maybe 6 moons, stereo mojo etc ... one of the online ones IIRC.

Would be interested myself as the EE Minimax Dac has AES/EBU connectivity but i cant find a way of connecting to my mac

Yes, I know they do Darren, thinking of building a media device to replace the ATV so I can remove the dedicated laptop which it currently syncs with out the equation. This is in the place of changing the ATV for a new McMini.

R Hi, I think its best if you can avoid the conversion at all, ie use an async DAC, but if you do use a converter you will just have to experiment , and see which you prefer.
Keith.

Thinking of building a media player with a sound card which'll have AES/EBU, USB, S/PDIF and TOSlink digital out. This, IMO is no different to a motherboard with builtin output devices, as long as they are well designed.

products_hdsp_aes_32_1b.jpg

aargh - can that be the last time that ginormous photo is quoted/reposted please? It's playing havoc with screen re-sizing on the mobile Im reduced to using at the moment..

What sample rates do you want to use? If you need no more than 24 bit, 96kHz then that's been available digitally on pro/semi-pro cards for about 13 years and some of the older cards still even have drivers updated for them (perhaps not so for Mac).

The RME Digi 96 can be picked up for about £60 max on Ebay, Frontier Wavecenter and Dakota can go for as little as £40, Prodif gold is about £40 too. Digigram did some good cards back then too which can be had cheap now. So much out there cheap that can do 96k or even 192k (in the last 5 or 6 years) secondhand - you just have to check that drivers are updated and that you dont go for fancy PCI-X with your pc just to be modern (else you'll have to buy new, expensive cards too).

If it's just digital you want then dont go too crazy - you pay more for DSP or good convertors, none of which you need. In my opinion though, a good make of card with good drivers is easier to get working well than stuff on the motherboard. Pick older RME and you'll find extensive support in Linux too.

I'm looking at maybe building a silent digital media/music server. AES/EBU digital (or USB) output will be my preffered method.

I don't quite understand why you need an AES/EBU output?
Do you feed a converting amp with the signal? Or do you double up and feed another DAC?
The least complicated way if you feed your amps is to use the analogue out of a decent soundcard (I have M audio 1010lt, which allows me to feed a balanced phono preamp signal to my server) into an amp (or a spdif signal into a digital amp like the hypex).

advertisement

Back