advertisement

SoTM takes FOO to a whole new level with their tone controlling ethernet cables.

davidavdavid

davidavdavid
This paragraph was excerpted from the link below: (Note: I'm not so sure all of us want to hear their music as bright and pompous)

It is configured with three kinds of network cables, offering respectively different, high-quality sound characteristics. This allows you to create your own uniquely customized audio system selecting bright & pompous tone, neutral, or mild & comfortable tone. They are distinguished by black, dark grey and grey colour, with a standard length of 50cm.

And to sum this all up in one picture, because you know it can tell 1000 words:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ETY0J-qSUZBYeuqVJitVu0a50eTKA4mY/view?usp=sharing

Was another version of this thread deleted earlier today?
I thought I had posted a thread yesterday, but then it was nowhere to be seen and then thought I had not properly published the thread, so here we are. If it was deleted, I was not made aware.

I hoofed it as it looked like yet another foo fight and they bore me to death. If folk just posted about things that actually interested them this room would be a better place IMHO. I’ll leave it and see if it surprises me though.

I hoofed it as it looked like yet another foo fight and they bore me to death. If folk just posted about things that actually interested them this room would be a better place IMHO. I’ll leave it and see if it surprises me though.
Tony, I posted this because SoTM's claims about the tonal qualities of ethernet cables crossed the line.
I had network engineers in Silicon Valley falling off of their chairs when I shared it with them.

I find foo threads quite interesting on many levels please don’t delete them.

The older I get the more I am beginning to see the light that our world is run on unfounded marketing claims in so many areas.

From Tesco’s finest, to designer labels, to warm and comfortable Ethernet cables.

I still fall for most of it but am slowly learning ;)

The older I get the more I am beginning to see the light that our world is run on unfounded marketing claims in so many areas.

From Tesco’s finest, to designer labels, to warm and comfortable Ethernet cables.

I still fall for most of it but am slowly learning ;)

It's never too late.

I remember reading up on how digital cables work a few years ago. I assumed the different systems were all kinda similar, but they're not. Turns out for instance that there are known technical reasons why coax cables can sound different but HDMI either works perfectly or it's broken.

No idea how ethernet cables work but I can imagine network engineers laughing at the idea coax cables sound different. I'm not saying ethernet cables can sound different, I have no idea although I'm inclined to doubt it, but without knowing how the system works I'm not laughing at anybody just yet.

All of the sotm stuff apart from their power supplies are bullshit of the highest order.

A bit harsh.

I bought a sms200 to replace my knackered SBT. It's worked without a flaw for nearly 2 years and was cheaper than the other ready-made alternatives.

Yes, I should've bought a rpi but some of us don't want the faff.

All of the sotm stuff apart from their power supplies are bullshit of the highest order.
I'm not an owner of any Sotm products but have come close in the past to buying an sms-200.
I think a statement such as the one you've made requires an explanation as there are many positive reviews for both the 200 & the Ultra.

Hi,
The product is a LAN cable. It transports bits (data), but does not affect the "sound". It in no way changes the bitstream, so how can it affect the sound ?

It therefore has to be the "belief" that it affects the sound, that people subsequently hear a change in the sound.

Regards,
Shadders.

The problem is whilst some stuff at the fringes clearly is bollocks at least to my mind there is a substantial grey-area in the middle (e.g. speaker leads, interconnects, supports etc) where the vast majority of audiophiles hear differences and buy to taste. Despite electrical differences (capacitance, inductance, resistance etc) clearly existing we still get self-professed “expert” crusaders trolling with aggressive or condescending cyclic arguments and often thinly disguised commercial agendas again and again. It just damages the site IMHO.

PS FWIW I’m an ex-Network Manager amongst other things, I’ve specified and migrated the network infrastructure in huge corporations etc, so yes I do approach $1100 Cat 5 leads, $1700 Ethernet switches etc with something rather more than a healthy degree of skepticism, and you won’t find any in my house, but if folk want to spend their money that way it really isn’t my business and I’m not looking for a preaching career. I certainly won’t have folk who buy audio accessories of any type bullied on this site. There are now a few users I ban from such threads on sight now as I can predict exactly the trajectory the thread will take.

advertisement

Back