advertisement

Sony transforms tape storage

The picture on Gizmodo doesn't match the one the BBC used. The one on the BBC looks like an LTO tape to me and therefore a major step up from the planned LTO8 tapes which would only hold 13tb. With luck it will appear before I retire in 2022.

Transforms tape storage?

There have been high Tb tape proposals by all the players over the last 20 years or so. It's LTO or nothing these days unless you are a mainframer.

If you are serious about tape storage, LTO will ensure that newer transports will play your old backups - you wouldn't want to be scraping around for a dead tape transport in 20 years time, you'd feel happier if you could get a current transport and find it can read your old tapes (that's how LTO has worked for a number of generations).

This was the topic of discussion on LBC radio's nightly phone-in.
Call after call from people talking about their old cassette tapes, open reels, radio cassette recorders etc.
One nerd even phoned and starting discussing the finer points of azimuth and bias, and how three heads were better than two :)

I'm amazed tape is still in such wide use.
Nothing to do with this Sony thing of course but it sparked an entertaining radio show discussion.

These articles are totally misleading - showing a picture of a consumer compact cassette.

Sony's tech is not ever going to be used on a consumer format. It's for companies with big data centres who need to archive data that is not constantly in use, but never the less may be needed years in the future. Or for backing up large database's etc and taking the data off site for disaster recovery purposes.

Banks, Governments, Multinationals, Amazon, Google etc are the people who would use this. I.e. organisations with big bucks, not Joe Bloggs.

advertisement

Back