advertisement

Sony TA-N77ES "Japan's greatest power amplifier of all time"

Yep - I saw that one.

I am looking for an immaculate unit (power amp only) within driving distance, max €1,000..... or a beaten up one for restoration for a small fraction of that...

Btw, no-one answered my attenuator question in Post 1.... anyone know the answer, please ?

Yep - I saw that one.

I am looking for an immaculate unit (power amp only) within driving distance, max €1,000..... or a beaten up one for restoration for a small fraction of that...

Btw, no-one answered my attenuator question in Post 1.... anyone know the answer, please ?

Yes, you should be able to run one without a pre-amp, my JVC M-3030 has a similar setup, and works well without a pre.

As James writes, quite possibly yes (but probably not), although for me it is indeed not the point : I want technology-as-art, which I think both the TA-N77ES & M-22 achieve (yours truly preferring the VU meter option...).

Fair enough - I thought as much. My Croft pairing is the complete opposite of these good looking beauties featured on this thread - but in my case the sound is so good I'll have to make do with the understated looks.

I am looking to put something 'nice looking' in the rack - which would also hopefully double up as excellent sounding! The Croft is staying however - so perhaps a Transcription Turntable with those lovely gold spinning weights or, a champagne coloured CD player; but because I rarely use either (I mostly stream), they could serve primarily as 'Objet d'art'.

Any wonderful looking streamers out there (probably not)?

I can't help but think that say Accuphase, might have something to say about the statement of "Japan's greatest amp of all time".

James - may I ask what you are using as a pre-amp for your M-22 & which of your speakers it's 30 pure Class A watts per channel are being asked to drive ?

James - may I ask what you are using as a pre-amp for your M-22 & which of your speakers it's 30 pure Class A watts per channel are being asked to drive ?
Sure you can.

I'm using a matching Pioneer C-21 preamp. The 30W per side works fabulously into a pair of 90dB/w Yamaha NS-1000M and equally into my own design E-IIIR (3-way, 87.5dB/w).

The M-22 is less convincing into the 84dB/w E-IXs. These are happier with 60W or more behind them.

Keep an eye on ebay and gumtree, if their collection only (always worth it imo) you can get a more realistic price, it's just a waiting game ;) paid £350 inc petrol for my JVC beast.

Accuphase amps were based on Sony amps.
Not so. Accuphase is an offshoot of Trio/Kenwood. The original name was Kensonic Labs, and Kenwood is still (I think) a shareholder.
My money is on Accuphase as the best in this game. That said, my amp is a Luxman from the 'bad period', but it is great and has at least another 25/30 years left, which will be enough for me.

advertisement

Back