advertisement

Sony TA-F870ES from 1991. Any good?

The amp is heavy at 24kg, so shipping to/from any repair will be quite costly. I’m located near Ludlow in shropshire. Can anyone recommend someone who can repair this phono issue. Ideally within reasonable travelling distance.
Many thanks
Peter

I'm not far from you and had a refresh done on a Cyrus 1 a couple of years ago by a chap in Ludlow. I'll see if I can find his contact details.

Bit of a wild guess, but if your switch cleaner worked, and later one channel failed, is it poss. that the gunk (partially?) removed has moved/migrated ? It's worth repeating your cleaning schedule, because it costs nothing, and it may have needed a bit more cleaning than one attempt. Nothing to lose, i.m.o.
Thanks Mike. It was odd that I had a brilliant listening session with both channels operating correctly; and then, back to square one. As you say, it costs nothing to repeat the process.

You could try Mike Powell
http://www.mpavservice.co.uk

Done 2 rebuilds for me , All good

Thanks Al. Will keep that in mind. Just trying the above before I move to a ‘repair optio

PM replied to

Once again, I owe a debt of gratitude to you all. I’ll let you know how things progress/are resolved.

Peter

Sorry to bring this back to life again. Frustratingly, the phono stage has reverted to its old habit of (partially) failing on the right channel. Without repeating what has already gone, I think I must accept that the phono stage needs fixing. Or I need an external phono to use through one of the line level inputs.

When the amp briefly functioned correctly, it sounded very good. So I’m tempted to get the internal phono stage sorted. Makes more sense should I decide to sell the amp. Not likely, but it’s good to keep options open. Can anyone recommend where it could go for repair. I did think of Arkless Electronics would be an option, but can’t seem to find a way of initiating a conversation (because he’s trade?).
Peter

I'm back. PM away....

I have a similar ongoing problem with line inputs on my 770ES which I clear by switching the Direct Input switch under the flap to and fro a few times, which always works. So far I have been too lazy to clean the switch contacts. I realize that you say your line inputs are fine, but you never know... and one day someone might search here and find it useful info.
Hello everyone!
I´ve found this thread and forum, because I had a TA-F770ES with the same issues, of you and Mr Magoo.
The volume switch makes some noise.
I will try to follow your sugestion and clean inside with a switch cleaner spray. The interior has never been cleaned, over the last few decades :)

Hi Pedro, welcome.

Besides the Direct Input switch I have occasional channel fade/loss problems caused by the Source Direct button. And if that doesn’t shift it either, I need to select different inputs and then come back again. I really need to get inside mine with some cleaner. But the volume control is absolutely crackle-free.

advertisement

Back