advertisement

SONY PS1 best cd player in the world?

Got the Kenwood 3080 MK2 as recommended, got to agree it has musicality that is sweet and also keeps pace quite well, unlike the hard hitting digitally staggered sound of the Cambridge audio(??faulty unit) The Kenwood still lacks the texturally dense picture and speed that the Sony PS1 provides that gives you that additional realism and emotive qualities I crave for and makes it special to listen to.

I have purchased another cd player the Labs 47 midnight blue cd player. This company is well known to go for musicality as their focus. It sure is very musical and emotionally connects very well with great PRAT and drive. It is more transparent than the PS1 but again not tonally as densely textured as the PS1. Both equally good with their own particular strengths. Both superior to the Kenwood, but the latter is very nice to listen to and gets most of the basics right. The Labs 47 was bought for £850 and is a keeper.

Incredible that the Sony PS1 is still competing closely with something like a Labs 47!

You may have said so earlier but is your PS1 stock, and not modified in any way?

no it is not stock, it is modified to a point but the power supply and the transport also need to be carefully chosen as they make a big difference to the overall musicality of the PS1

Got the Kenwood 3080 MK2 as recommended, got to agree it has musicality that is sweet and also keeps pace quite well, unlike the hard hitting digitally staggered sound of the Cambridge audio(??faulty unit) The Kenwood still lacks the texturally dense picture and speed that the Sony PS1 provides that gives you that additional realism and emotive qualities I crave for and makes it special to listen to.

I have purchased another cd player the Labs 47 midnight blue cd player. This company is well known to go for musicality as their focus. It sure is very musical and emotionally connects very well with great PRAT and drive. It is more transparent than the PS1 but again not tonally as densely textured as the PS1. Both equally good with their own particular strengths. Both superior to the Kenwood, but the latter is very nice to listen to and gets most of the basics right. The Labs 47 was bought for £850 and is a keeper.
It mystifies me why you would splash out £850 on another cd player if your so taken with the playstation, you must have more money than sense mate.

Ragaman, PS1 is a depressing looking cd player, even when I get it into the Rega Apollo Suit, it is still DIY. If I find another bit of equipment that sounds equally good or better then I am happy to pay for that, money is not the object here as I have said before, its the sound.

I am considering purchasing a used Allnic DAC (6K at best second hand) simply because I believe it will sound better than the PS1. The Labs 47 would then have been the transport. That was the real link in that purchase. However the lab 47 might be all I need now judging by the way that it sounds. Remember I have owned CD players worth over 10K. Just sold my 6K cd payer as it was not as enjoyable to listen to as the PS1 and that was a model highly praised for its musicality.

Listen to the music, not the equipment, it will set you free.

You seem so bogged down with equipment, i would suggest, put in your playstation, sit back with a beverage & enjoy, forget about trying anything better, you have waxed lyrical about this player from page one, i wouldn't keep picking at it.

I used to be you many years ago, i released the chains & have never looked back, just some friendly advice from a reformed audiophile.

Ragaman, PS1 is a depressing looking cd player, even when I get it into the Rega Apollo Suit, it is still DIY. If I find another bit of equipment that sounds equally good or better then I am happy to pay for that, money is not the object here as I have said before, its the sound.

I am considering purchasing a used Allnic DAC (6K at best second hand) simply because I believe it will sound better than the PS1. The Labs 47 would then have been the transport. That was the real link in that purchase. However the lab 47 might be all I need now judging by the way that it sounds. Remember I have owned CD players worth over 10K. Just sold my 6K cd payer as it was not as enjoyable to listen to as the PS1 and that was a model highly praised for its musicality.

Not sure the Allnicwill sound better, definitely different, have you read the Stereophile review,measurement sub section?
Keith.

Purite Audio I already have the Allnic lL500 and H1201 and I think they are wonderful music makers, so I was only going on that. Not that bothered by measurements.

Ragaman you are right, I am a restless soul.

Are we referring to the DAC that was the 'worst measuring digital component" JA had ever encountered?

It will sound different all right :)

I believe it does hold that honour!
But knowing the Hi-End there will be another contender along presently.
Keith.

Why dont I give you all a little post Christmas laugh as an update!

I have just received the Lab 47 cd player and their tuner and very fine pieces they are to in terms of communicating the music. However I am still using my modded PS1 in my main system and it still remains my favorite CD player of all time.

Now here is the joke. Lab 47 make fine musical sounding equipment as I have discovered. Some of their equipment are housed in this special pottery stuff made in 'Shigaraki' Japan????, no idea, anyway it is called Shigaraki pottery and it is of some mystical value to the Japanese and can only be had from Japan. You can buy this pottery on ebay ranging from a few pounds to a few hundred pounds depending on its magical properties I suppose. Anyway i thought if its good enough for Lab 47 to use then it must be worth a shot. Bought a couple of saucers made of/from/in/by 'Shigaraki'. Took ages to arrive, and no import duties, magical or what??? bung them under the sony ps1. Hey presto, and this will make you laugh believe you me, the PS1 sounded at once faster clearer and had much better timing. Perhaps ever so slightly leaner tonally but certainly better focused with a better PRAT with all its other attributes kept intact. Now did I really hear that or was the Shigaraki playing magical illusional games on my ears??

Told you that would put a smile on your face, it did on mine!!!!!

Funny that I was buying the PS1 for £15 only a few months ago and that was good working ones, they are now selling for £30-60. The ploy worked. I can now offload my 100 PS1's I have stored all these years! Still the best CD player I have owned though! and well have to admit it the Shigaraki is no joke either. In translation, that's 'snake oil '[to Euan and Beammeup.

advertisement

Back