advertisement

SONUS FABER speakers

Yup, had an original pair of Concertos on Ironwood stands. I loved them to bits, even if the bass was a bit wooly. Aspired to the Amator II, but then I discovered DIY loudspeakers.

I think I'd like to find a pair of Extrema, but they sell for silly money these days.

I have Concertos and agree with the comments above.

I also have Minimas, which are stunning speakers, albeit they don't do loud. Haven't heard a small speaker to equal them.

The earlier, the better. Some of those units like Extremas and Amators are probably classics. The later ones seem like venture capitalists busy cashing in. Not really the same company....

I have the Cremona Auditor Ms and the Venere 1.5s.

The latter are good (in their price bracket) for true bookshelf use: I use them with the TV.

The former are lovely speakers, nimble, rich, even handed, though they need to be placed carefully.

But given your penchant for full-range speakers, you'll probably hate them.

Oh and BTW they work beautifully with Devialet.

I had Concertino's. Fab Speakers match them with the right Amp & they sing.
The sweetest midrange i have ever heard.
My Favourite was with an Exposure X until it all went bang :(

The earlier, the better. Some of those units like Extremas and Amators are probably classics. The later ones seem like venture capitalists busy cashing in. Not really the same company....
I think since Franco Serblin (RIP) sold SF around 2006, they have not quite been the same. The Minima is also a classic.

The sweetest midrange i have ever heard.
That's their strength, undoubtedly.

I have the original Guarneri Hommage lucky number 13 for over 15 years! I can only think of one speaker that I would have chosen in its place at the time I bought is the Extrema for pure sound quality.

I have had original (biwire) Concertinos for last 10 or 12 years, currently in my office system. Need some grunt to give their best, but with the right amp they shine.

SF Liuto Towers. Not perhaps quite as refined as the top level SFs ("only" £3400 new back in about 2009), but plenty of guts and really well controlled bass. THey need a decent sized room and a bit of care with positioning to give their best. And still drop dead georgeous to look at imho (mine are piano black). (Single wired (NVA LS5), Teddy Pardo ST60 amp).

I've had my Extremas for more than 20 years. All my other stereo components have changed in that time (some several times), but I never once considered changing the speakers.

I had the voice coils on the bass/mids rewound by Per Skaaning a few years ago after an amp fried them, other than that there's been absolutely no problems - I rarely get the heat sink above room temperature, even at realistic volumes using Bryston amps. And with no caps in the crossover to degrade they shouldn't need much maintenance for the next 20 years.

Agree the Early Homage and Extrema's are the classics

--you are dead right the Hedge Fund versions now sound like the Bean

counters designed them!

D41

Are the comments here about contemporary SF made with experience or from hearsay? I thought the Olympica 2 were pretty good. They were dryer than I expected from SF, but they still had many virtues.

Are the comments here about contemporary SF made with experience or from hearsay? I thought the Olympica 2 were pretty good. They were dryer than I expected from SF, but they still had many virtues.

Agreed. They're very fine speakers IMO.

I've read many comments on SF having a fantastic midrange, but being somewhat "boring" or too smooth. Being an Epos ES fan, I love midrange smoothness, and don't need rock&roll like performance, but these comments still scare me off. Any hints on this topic?

advertisement

Back