advertisement

Sonos users

G

Guest432

Is anyone else having issues with radio streaming on their Sonos. I'm just using the tunein stations in Sonos for R2 and 6music but they seem to be suffering from disconnects of a few minutes at a time for the last couple of weeks? Every time it disconnects my internet is up so is unlikely to be the broadband.

I've not experienced any disconnects or interruptions using Sonos, but I've had an unusual amount of this happening on a web player on my PC and on NAD's BlueSound over the last couple of weeks.
Tidal is suffering the most. Internet radio also.

Is anyone else having issues with radio streaming on their Sonos. I'm just using the tunein stations in Sonos for R2 and 6music but they seem to be suffering from disconnects of a few minutes at a time for the last couple of weeks? Every time it disconnects my internet is up so is unlikely to be the broadband.

May be related to the BBC downgrading its AAC feeds.

Tim

Are you running a BT HomeHub5?

TuneIn does it across the board with Sonos in the UK. Sonos no longer has any issues with HH. The early ones were a problem but that's a separate thing. The BBC feeds for TuneIn aren't the same as the ones from iPlayer either. It has done this across every router I've ever used with it and the Sonos system has been bulletproof in all other respects. Many other users used to report the same thing.

Is anyone else having issues with radio streaming on their Sonos....

Probably down to the BBC changing its streaming formats. There are numerous Internet comments on this, so I needn't say more here.

Suffice it to say that users of an affected platform need to pester their manufacturer for the earliest possible support for HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) which appears to be the BBC's medium term solution for high quality (320kbs AAC) streaming in the UK.

The upside of this mess is that all the BBC's radio services (including locals) are now available at 320kbs AAC. It's worth stating that HLS is not an audio format in itself, rather a wrapper in which the AAC or MP3 stream is delivered. The necessary URLs have been released on the Internet and are of the form

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8

It's probably a question of getting Sonos and its partners to offer the necessary support. Good luck.

Sonos and TuneIn seem to be mostly rock solid here. Only the occasional disconnect or interruption now and then. It's not very common or troublesome.

I've noticed that this morning listening to Radio 3 at around 8:45. The sound cut out for a few minutes, then restarted.

Probably down to the BBC changing its streaming formats. There are numerous Internet comments on this, so I needn't say more here.

Suffice it to say that users of an affected platform need to pester their manufacturer for the earliest possible support for HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) which appears to be the BBC's medium term solution for high quality (320kbs AAC) streaming in the UK.

The upside of this mess is that all the BBC's radio services (including locals) are now available at 320kbs AAC. It's worth stating that HLS is not an audio format in itself, rather a wrapper in which the AAC or MP3 stream is delivered. The necessary URLs have been released on the Internet and are of the form

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8

It's probably a question of getting Sonos and its partners to offer the necessary support. Good luck.

Looks like it doesn't work with Sonos, have just tried the 6music one:

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/high/ak/bbc_6music.m3u8

advertisement

Back