advertisement

Sonos Update Frequency...

andyoz

pfm Member
...Seems to be every third time I turn the thing on it wants an update.

Frequency has been increasing the last few years.
One about a year ago was some stupid change to the App that hid the main menu items and they had to get ride of it quick (with yet another update)

Used to be lucky to get one update a year and it still seemed to work all fine...

Message to Sonos - we just want to listen to music OK - you're becoming like every other tech company...

I'll second that, I cannot now use my iPad to control as I do not want to 'join' Sonos and as you say endless updates. Not the simple, enjoyable system I originally bought. Will probably ditch it soon, shame as it sounds pretty good through some Q Acoustic speakers.

I just did an update last Friday at home and now it wants to do another one...

My laptop Sonos controller at work seem to have the "Update Now" button showing more often than not.

The number of times I've had mates over for a drink...we get chatting about music...hey you gotta hear this and then Sonos says - no gotta update (then it fails to update the first time for some reason)...After 10mins of this my mates have just sarted playing it off Youtube on the mobile phone speaker and I just go - ah feck that'll do!

I am looking forward to the next Sonos update, the last one has stopped me choosing individual tracks from my NAS library on the Sonos CR200 remote.

No problem choosing a whole album but for example if you try to choose track 4 the button is greyed out.

Come on Sonos send another update.

I understand they have more gear to support etc. but it has lost some of it's USP...i.e. it used to just work 99.9% of the time.

There's an issue with Sonos 10.1 update and iPhones, my daughter can't get her Sonos Play 5 to work properly when her iPhone 7.

Her iPad Air controls it fine though?

well ever since i was forced to abandon my sonos controller , i must say i am very pleased with using the sonos app on my smartphone . i rarely get asked to do updates and all works very well . the sound is extremely good

Yes, they're getting a pain with the regular updates. There was one recently that wouldn't allow me to access any online services until I'd done it, very annoying.

I've another one pending now that won't update within the app, it keeps sending me to the play store so I haven't bothered yet.

One of the reasons i went back to Logitech LMS after a brief foray onto Sonos is that you do not need to be connected to web to run home music with LMS, and you are very much in charge of updates. I always stay at least current V-1 release for stability and to allow others to debug. Sonos does not allow any of that.

I use Sonos (Connect Amp and Playbar) regularly, with no issues.

Fwiw I’ve just started using Roon (Zenith II Core) with again no issues interfacing with the two aforementioned Sonos components.

I use a Boost, Play3 and two Sonos Amps and have had no issues. I have updates set to overnight so haven’t even noticed them. The line input and app on my iPhone and iPad even work when my internet is down.

advertisement

Back