advertisement

Sonic Holography-Autocorrelation Preamp

I reviewed this preamp for Practical Hi-Fi in Jan 1981 and came away with the conclusion that as a straightforward preamp it was 'rudimentary in construction and disappointing in sound quality' (referenced to a Lentek preamp section and a Meridian 101) - the holographic sound side I found intriguing but ultimately fatiguing listening. If anyone want to read the 3-page review just PM me. DGP

There's a manual here, which offers some explanations: http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/uploadfiles/20160221130030278.pdf

There are several pretty unusual features. There's the auto-correlation function, which seems to be a noise reduction mechanism. There also seems to be an anti-compression function. There is the ability to send a delayed and shaped signal to three rear speakers, for ambience. And then there's the sonic holography thing, which I haven't really got my head round.

Bob Carver didn't lack ambition!

Only sold one of these back in the day -different -but not really exciting. The customer who bought it very shortly became a ARC fanatic -his system eventually included a SP3a-1 and D-150-and frankly that left the carver in it's dust.

advertisement

Back