advertisement

Sonic benifits of dedicated hi fi equiment isolation tables?

D3savage

pfm Member
Hi there are some quite elaborate equipment tables around .... spiked with spiked shelves ..... what do you use and did you find any sonic benefit....???

I really depends on your equipment: In the days I used a CD player (Naim CDS) I found that the support and even the support material made a difference, though less so when I moved to a house with solid floors again. My current (digital) system is totally non mechanical, and I'm not convinced that there is any audible effect from vibration, either mechanical or airborne. What I did do was build a rack using a combination of perspex shelves and wood supports and eliminated all metal from the structure as i was wondering is running cables along steel structures was a good thing. It also looks great. I'm convinced my system sounds better on my non-ferrous rack!

I heard a demo of an all acrylic ReVo HiFi stand vs a wooden shelved/metal legged table, the chap just lifted the CD player from one stand to the other, same track, same volume, it was a no brainer, by comparison the ReVo just sprung the music into life and the wooden table made the music sound, well, wooden.
So I bought a ReVo and very happy with it I am, it would seem the less metal the better IMHO.

cheers Al

yes I have had sonority design under a cd player and it made a huge difference

I have also great results with Townshend stands under speakers

Personally I think that the effect that hi-fi furniture can have on the bank balance, not to mention the time taken to build some of the designs on the market, setup the system and hide the cables using the often poor cable management systems provided is enough to make anyone believe that the new furniture has made a difference. A waste of time, effort and money in my opinion.

Most difference to turntables imo as good isolation makes an improvement , on the other hand a wall shelf would do the same

I use Hutter and that does a decent job. A Hifi repair engineer whose opinion I trust (because he's a foo-sceptic) surprised me by saying the Naim Fraim was one of the best he'd heard because it does such a good job of isolating components and allowing them to sound better - at a price, mind.

I use a Quadraspire acrylic and believe it makes a difference. For all that, also looks cool and was pretty cheap.

I have previously owned a Mana stand, which I thought had audible improvements with Naim electronics, but my Meridian transport hated so much, that it sounded better with a soft cushion on top.

Anyone admit to spending a lot of money on something only to find it made zero deference or even made thing worse ;)

The only item I ever changed that made a big difference was the change from the habit of using bell wire for speaker connections over to high strand count thick wires that was in the 80's, that made a huge difference.

Everything else its always been well I should hear an improvement so i must be hearing an improvement, even though if I was honest I could not.

Whilst I can except that proper isolation would be good got turntables and Valve amps, I am not so convinced SS amps would benefit, unless you live in a rickety old house built right next to a heavily used motorway. As to CD players, they seem to cope quite well in a moving car.

Much of it just might be audiophoolery, but no one will admit to that will they ;)

yes I have had sonority design under a cd player and it made a huge difference

I have also great results with Townshend stands under speakers

I have also seen significant benefits of using Townsend under speakers. I use a Decent Audio wall shelf for my TT which also improved the sound greatly. I've not noticed a difference when isolating CD players, although I've always used some kind of spiked stand

I've used, on amps/cd/dac/streamers all manner of metal and wooden racks, with wood or glass shelves, and 'standard', absorbing, and isolating feet.
I honestly cannot tell any difference in the sound whichever I use, so I now just have them in a wooden cabinet with the feet provided by the makers.

(turntables may be different but I don't use one)

Anyone admit to spending a lot of money on something only to find it made zero deference or even made thing worse ;)

The only item I ever changed that made a big difference was the change from the habit of using bell wire for speaker connections over to high strand count thick wires that was in the 80's, that made a huge difference.

Everything else its always been well I should hear an improvement so i must be hearing an improvement, even though if I was honest I could not.

Whilst I can except that proper isolation would be good got turntables and Valve amps, I am not so convinced SS amps would benefit, unless you live in a rickety old house built right next to a heavily used motorway. As to CD players, they seem to cope quite well in a moving car.

Much of it just might be audiophoolery, but no one will admit to that will they ;)
High-end cables, high-end racks, special feet, replacement of a (rewired) stock Technics tonearm with one from a high-end maker that turned out to be technically inferior in just about every way, and of course 'less is more' hi-fi. Turntables benefit from isolation, though my Technics 1210 will happily play just about anywhere. My hi-fi is nearly all Japanese and has every feature you could ever need while still managing to sound great and be packed with high quality, name brand components. It's wired with Van Damme cable which is as good as a cable can get. Pretty soon it'll be in a cabinet which I'm confident will have no affect on the sound, but will reduce the amount I have to dust it.

LP12 mounted on a Sound Org table originally purchased with my kit from The Sound Organisation because "they" said it was needed when it was in the Old School in Clink Street more years ago than I care to remember.My CDS and All Amps two tiers of them on adapted Sound Org Tables bottom shelf located on 4 fixed plates drilled and fitted with 4mm ball bearings all of the original boards replaced by 12.5 mm thick Perspex because of it's fairly inert properties and it didn't cost me anything.
I was given the other two Sound Org tables by my mate Rasher formally of this parish, Briks on 30mm thick marble slabs cut and polished for £10 the pair bought from a Cornish Stone Quarry whilst on holiday there. The Slabs are located on 4 mm ball bearings sat on Cross head screws screwed into the wooden floor. Does it make a difference, in all honesty I have no idea, but I have always been prepared to follow the Naim Linn mantra as long as it didn't cost me anything.
oldie

Do you think this attitood is a good way to promote your business?

Keith's attitood probably doesn't help to promote his business, but maybe he sleeps more soundly at night knowing he actually told the truth instead of selling snake oil?

advertisement

Back