advertisement

Songs with great harmonies?

prowla

pfm Member
I picked up a Doobie Brothers compilation on the weekend (£3 from FOPP), and listened to it today. It occurred to me that the classic "Long Train Running" is a fairly simple song with a pretty easy guitar line and very basic structure, but it makes it because of the vocal harmonies.

I then got to thinking about other songs that are made great mainly because of the harmonies, and came up with "Hotel California" (The Eagles), and then kindof ran out of ideas.

(The next one I thought of was "The Gypsy" by Deep Purple, where a fairly drunk sounding Coverdale and Hughes vye for supremacy and actually work well together in the process. But that's just one of my favourites rather than a mainstream classic.)

Can anybody think of any more songs that would otherwise be fairly mundane, but are totally made by the vocal harmonies?

Lonesome Loser by the Little River Band. And Listen to the Music, by the aforementioned Brothers of Doobie.

I personally think "Hotel California" has more going for it than great harmonies, though.

Jonathan Ribee said:
Can we include major choral works - Bach et al - or is that cheating?
Great suggestion. Cheating or not, we have to mention the choral intro of the St Matthew Passion.

Please-A.jpg

matthewr said:
Beach Boys >>>> Everybody Else
If we're talking about good songs with great harmonies, different ballgame. (In which case Everly Brothers>>>>anyone, including the Boys of Beach).

Pretty much anything by the Byrds has wonderful harmony singing.

"Eight Miles High", "Bells of Rhymney" or "Feel a Whole Lot Better" are all good starters.

But they are all great songs in there own right, so possibly not what you asking for!

Cheese said:
Great suggestion. Cheating or not, we have to mention the choral intro of the St Matthew Passion.

Come on guys,if you want to cheat by including choral works,then Verdi's Va Pensiero wipes the floor with everything else!!!

Best wishes

Ian

Fretless Eric said:
A fair bit of Crowded House and an old favourite, "Echo Beach".
Doh! How could I forget Crowded House (and the brothers Finn)???

I've also got a Crosby Stills Nash & Young album 4 Way Street.

Karen Carpenter had such a pure, harmonious voice, imho. Not really my cup of tea, but nice, all the same.
I also agree with the Beach Boys/pet sounds (& smile), Beatles & Crowded House recommendations.
matt

advertisement

Back