advertisement

Something for the weekend, sir

joel

Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors
aka just another thread of recent purchases. Anyway, here are some of the things I'll be listening to over the weekend:

CD
Ju'hoansi Bushmen Instrumental Music - the cats are howling along in sympathy to this one as I type, so it must be good (and anyone who can cope with Derek Bailey should have few problems adjusting to this)
Lakshimi Shankar Season and Time - North Indian Raga and bhajan devotional music from a "swaramandala" player
Chidambram Temple Musicians Periya Melam - Devotional music from South India
Dirty Dozen Brass Band We Got Robbed - they got da funk

Vinyl
Ken Ishi Future Light - picked up cheap in the s/h bins
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Nocturne, live at the Albert Hall from 1983. Great picture of the band on the back cover looking like they're just about to hit the Mudd Club
Dead Can Dance doesn't seem to have a title, but there is a photo of a West African fetish mask on the cover, and I'll buy any album with one of those.
Jimi & the Band of Gypsies - cover is not in very good nick, hopefully a nice pressing for those air guitar moments :D
JImi - Hendrix in the West Clearly a jimi weekend, then

That's it so far...

I'll be seeing Kraftwerk at the Brixton Academy tomorrow night. Last saw them in 1982, so it'll be a fun comparison.

Other than that, have a pile of things to listen to: the new Nectarine No. 9, Squarepusher, a couple of Pelt albums (Max Meadows and Techeod), more Zorn (Masada String Trio live), several live Faust recordings, and a mixed bag of secondhand jazz vinyl I've only just got around to cleaning (Anthony Braxton, Dollar Brand, Joe Harriot, Andy Bey, Sun Ra, Martial Solal, Sonny Stitt and about a dozen others).

-- Ian

I've been spinning a cracker called Zion Roots by Abyssinian Infinite, a collaboration between Bill Laswell and some excellent Ethiopian singing bird with an unpronouncable name.

Great stuff, lively with a richness and diversity of texture sometimes lacking from african music. Has the typical warm and atmospheric Laswell production, but the dub fx are pushed well into the background.

Amazingly for a Laswellogical endeavour there's no bass guitar, just so much fabulous booming percussion you'd never notice.

A good shopping trip to David's and the Garden House Hospice Shop.

From Davids, all at £1 each plus 30p for a new inner sleeve:
Tales of Mystery and Imagination - The Alan Parsons Project
Into the Gap - Thompson Twins
Music That You Can Dance To - Sparks This is an import and still has the MCPS import sticker on the back.
The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table - Rick Wakeman

All in excellent condition and each with wordsheets/info sheets intact.

From the Hospice, an 8 disk boxed set of Beethoven's 9 Symphonien - Wiener Philharmoniker - Karl Böhm conducting on DG in pristine condition apart from a slightly chewed box, for £5. This is the first set of LP's I've ever owned where one is marked "Side 16".

I think I'm going to enjoy tomorrow. Mind you, if this wind keeps up I may be fixing the roof back on :eek:

Mick

Got "Alphabetical" by a french band called "Phoenix" today; it's love at first listening. Even my better half asked me to keep this piece of vinyl spinning. :)

She will keep looking in charity shops and I just have to look through the records.

Today, a Decca Ace of Clubs Holst - The Planets from the LSO/Sir Malcolm Sargent - 99p. I remember this pressing as a lad. The vinyl is in pristine condition. Also, dIRE sTRAITS money for nothing in excellent condition for a whole 50p. We listened to the CD the other day so it will be interesting to compare. Mind you, looking at the vinyl I think the CD weighs more :rolleyes:

Mick

The local library has clearouts now and then. On Friday I got:-

Crossfire - The Pirates - some good Telecaster stuff
Extremely Cool - Chuck E. Weiss - not quite Tom Waits but well worth the £1 I paid for each.

:)

[...and a good gig].

... and some great bike racing today:D

Cheers,

The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table - Rick Wakeman is just about the most melancholy album I've got.
On a more upbeat note, I've been listening to Rammstein - Mutter (very disturbed people based on the translation of the lyrics I've downloaded!).
I also picked up a couple of throwbacks - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Willie & the Poor Boys/Cosmos Factory and Beatles - Let It Be (Naked).

Originally posted by prowla
The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table - Rick Wakeman is just about the most melancholy album I've got
I thought it was complete twaddle - mine's on ePay as I type. Oh well, can't win them all.

Mick

...I just can't turn off the rig yet. Guilty as charged:

DJ Koze - "All people is my friends"
(bad grammar intended by artist) Excellent mixed compilation, a typical Kompakt release. I wonder how these people can maintain this high quality? Frightening.

South - With the Tides
Hey, sounds like... James? No, wait, it's Ride.. Capterhouse? Swervedriver? This records sounds like a bunch of young people having had an extensive listen to shoegazer music, deciding to make their own but leaving out the dark/moody elements. Compared to my favourite Creation releases this is a simple-hearted approach at best, but it rocks nonetheless. :)

The Youngsters - The Army of 1-0
This album was released on Laurent Garnier's "F-Communication" Label, which also has a history of high quality releases. Olivier et Gil do not disappoint; good electronic music, very vibrant and warm at times.

advertisement

Back