advertisement

Something for the 2-wheel Petrolheads

I'm currently on a BM 1200 boxer (125 brake, 92 ft lb) and there are very few circumstances on the road where I'm riding under 3k, save for trickling somewhere or slowing right down. Second gear maybe, but get below 3k in third or above and I wouldn't expect it to feel nice. I've had litre v-twins before and various 4 cylinder bikes and I don't think any of them have been pleasant or provide enough flexibility below 3k revs. Every bike I've ever ridden feels better with the engine spinning a bit - better power delivery, better bike control.
I don't know of any 3/4 cylinder 4 stroke that has had lumpy or difficult or unpleasant delivery at low revs. Flat yes, but that's it. Parallel twins also seem very smooth to me. It's only boxer twins, v twins and singles that misbehave at low revs to me. Same with all 2/3/4 cylinder two strokes I have ever had or ridden.

I'm currently on a BM 1200 boxer (125 brake, 92 ft lb) and there are very few circumstances on the road where I'm riding under 3k, save for trickling somewhere or slowing right down. Second gear maybe, but get below 3k in third or above and I wouldn't expect it to feel nice. I've had litre v-twins before and various 4 cylinder bikes and I don't think any of them have been pleasant or provide enough flexibility below 3k revs. Every bike I've ever ridden feels better with the engine spinning a bit - better power delivery, better bike control.
I think that's any engine with a performance cam. Obviously if you drive a tractor you put a cam in that gives max torque at 1500 rpm but no power at 4000 rpm because a tractor is never going to get there. The opposite with a race engine. I used to have a Caterham 7, 130 bhp from 1400 cc at 7400 rpm. Great above 4k rpm but as flat as a fart at 2k rpm. I thought it was just me but a mate had an R400, more highly tuned at ~190 bhp from 1800 cc, and he said it was even worse. Bikes are going to be the same, only more so, because if you have 10 or 12k revs to play with you don't need to have it deliver much power at 2k rpm.

advertisement

Back