advertisement

Some audio equipment reviews for your perusement

Well I can vouch for the accuracy of the review. I've had my CDP7 for a few years now and have never considered an upgrade. Frankly I wouldn't know where to go. I tried top=end Wadias, Esoteric and a Resolution Audio. All sounded too clinical and sterile to me. I had a Copland 288 and none of the above, while undoubtedly better than the Copland, were a significant upgrade. The Lector however produced a much more musical, a more analogue sound and I was sold immediately. The valve output & gain (which you only mentioned as contents in the box) are hugely relevant to the Lector's sound. For a while my unit exhibited a very harsh edgy sound and lengthy tube rolling failed to provide a solution. I contacted Lector and they kindly sent me (at a modest price!) a set of original JJ tubes plus 2 NOS tubes. It took a little burn-in but I did get that wonderful sound back. As you say... detail, bass, 3D soundstage and pace, everything I look for in a CDP really!
On the subject of isolation... I placed 3 x 2 high pads of Black Ravioli under my transport and the level of detail resolution and "space" was improved dramatically. I'd consider this option before even auditioning any possible 'upgrades' to a Lector.

Black Ravioli can be an upgrade to any component sat upon them.

Just about. They didn't make much difference to my turntable but then it is already on a wall shelf and on a seismic sink. Heavy amps especially seem to respond to them.

They made some extremely ambitious claims regarding their ability to eliminate RF interference when I last chatted to one of their reps.

BR do what you want them to do. If you want them to make the music sound better then they do. If your bs deflector is on, however, they do sweet fa (having tried them myself).

The CD7 seems very appealing and I'm smitten by its looks and top-loading mechanism. But ho does it compare to the Akurate DS? Its not clear which you are using now.

BR do what you want them to do. If you want them to make the music sound better then they do. If your bs deflector is on, however, they do sweet fa (having tried them myself).

I have a finely tuned bullshit detector thanks and I found BR did stuff no square of rubber should ever do in a system. It didn't do it everywhere and everytime (detector working... check) but there was no doubt about what it did do.
Just to be clear, this is my one and only post on "yes it does/no it doesn't". OK?

Well I can vouch for the accuracy of the review. I've had my CDP7 for a few years now and have never considered an upgrade. Frankly I wouldn't know where to go. I tried top=end Wadias, Esoteric and a Resolution Audio. All sounded too clinical and sterile to me.

I personally thought the lector was the most boring, insipid and muddied player i had ever heard, and that was the 4 box digidrive version. It stripped away any musicality of a cd and replaced it with a luke warm, magnolia coloured version of the disc. I had 3 players here for a demo as the first two wouldnt work on arrival....

advertisement

Back