advertisement

Soldering Iron

Jack911

Not a Member You'd Remember
Probably not the most enthralling thread you've read this week but...

I intend to start doing some hands-on electronics with the eventual aim of building something useful like a pre-amp power supply.

The first step is to get the right tools and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good soldering station which I won't need to upgrade as I (hopefully) progress through the skill levels.

I've been wondering the same thing having just bought a 62 so i can wreck <ahem, modify> it.**

At the moment i'm using a gas soldering iron from RS. It is possible to adjust the heat output and can get several size tips including ones to do heat shrink with. Another good thing is that it (obviously) doesn't have a cable going to it (the cable really pisses me off).

What is the advantage of a temperature controlled iron as opposed to a fixed wattage one?

** I have a friend who doesn't know it yet that i shall be bugging him to death with my new found project.

Stumo,

Iv'e noticed your located in mianus, could you please get out! :)

Jack,

I own a gas soldering iron and find it works fine but if i'm not careful i burn everthing in sight.

I'm located in Mianus so there shouldn't be any problems, if i was in Uranus then there would obviously be a problem.

The trick to using a gas iron is to place it upside down in the middle of a large reel of solder, it's a perfect size (makes you wonder if RS made it to fit there)

Any Weller TCP soldering station as Mark said and you couldn’t go far wrong with that, one thing to watch is bit temperature with regard to the type of solider you use, the cheaper TCPs are mag bits and you will have to change them for different temps,a well supported iron in every way.

Stuart

Go to the Pink fish first page then click on "FAQ" then "DIY supplier links" and you will find "RS" near the bottom of the page.

OK, so I'm looking at a Weller WTCP 51 at the moment.

It seems to have all I'll need for awhile, although it doesn't have variable temperature.

Am I on the right track? Can anyone advise on a better product for my purposes?

Thanks to you all.

Originally posted by Jack911
OK, so I'm looking at a Weller WTCP 51 at the moment.

It seems to have all I'll need for awhile, although it doesn't have variable temperature.

Am I on the right track? Can anyone advise on a better product for my purposes?

Thanks to you all.

The temperature is a function of the tip number.

Check out the Weller spare tips. You should find that the standard tip temp will suffice for most of your requirements.

However, tip size is another issue. I always have a range of various sizes around.

Mark

Check out eBay electronics section. There are sometimes some
far eastern temp controlled irons for around forty squids, (Wellers are over 150 squids). I have two and they're very good apart from the bits which don't last as long as the Weller part. Simple answer, fit Weller bits and hey presto, it's as good as you'll ever need.

Try this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2586883497&category=40004

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A while ago a bought a temprature controlled soldering iron from Maplins and the week after somebody posted here they were having a half price sale on them.

Metcal if you want the best but they are expensive.

Both to own and run!

Actually these also pop up on eBay regularly, but for home use the type Les has posted would be perfect - top tip Sir!

Even better to know the Weller bits fit!

The Metcals are awesomely good though, I use them exclusively at work and they are fab for SMD rework.

I'll stop drooling now ;)

Andy.

Maplin also have a range of soldering iron kits, including temp controlled ones - not sure about bit interchangeability though. The special offer one was a doozy - £9.99 from £29.99. Back at full price now though.

advertisement

Back