advertisement

SOLD SuperCapacitor Linear Regulated PSU 5v DC [+feeder 12v iFi iPower] for Node, Mutec, etc

TheFlash

Reiki Audio
I commissioned this 3-4 years ago after reading some encouraging articles and hearing from users of those available commercially. It uses a linear regulated supply to pre-charge a bank of large capacitors which basically give all of the benefits of batteries without some of the drawbacks. It takes a minute or two after powering up to start producing DC power and spookily continues to produce power for a couple of minutes after turning off, while the supercapacitors discharge. It works every bit as well as I hoped, providing effortless clean DC power.

It requires a 12v DC input current so comes with an iFi iPower to provide this.

Most custom-built stuff puts aesthetics low down the pecking order but I managed to source this fab looking case which has allowed it to take its rightful place in my Kendal rack. It produces 5v DC which makes it suitable for Bluesound Node 2i, Mutec MC-3+USB, Chord Qutest - all requiring an appropriately terminated DC cable of course.

£275 NOW £175 to include UK shipping. This includes the 12v iPower and a stock well-made DC output cable (I'll need to confirm whether the barrel is 2.1 or 2.5mm).

I used a Neotech UP-OCC cable with carbon-infused braid from MCRU which are £90; this is shown in one of the pics. I will include this for an additional £50. I may sell separately but only if the PSU buyer does not want it.

More pics to follow.
img_1858.jpeg
img_1856.jpeg

img_1864.jpeg
img_1863.jpeg
img_1862.jpeg

Last edited:
Apologies if this is a daft question but what is the difference between using this and buying a large rechargeable lithium battery to power 5V?

It's not a daft question, but it is a question I can't answer in detail; the key factor is the ability to provide bursts of high current with almost no lag. I recall reading this sort of thing at the time: https://www.capacitechenergy.com/blog/batteries-vs-supercapacitors-the-answer-is-both, it's not hifi specific but neither are the technical pros and cons in question.
I haven't read this in full but same story: https://www.analog.com/en/technical...de-for-power-supply-ride-through-systems.html

Happy to answer any other Q's by PM.

Thanks

Morning!

Don't be shy, PM me. If you could include one of the following phrases in your message title it would help me to prioritise my response:
  • close offer
  • worth-a-shot offer
  • having-a-laugh offer
  • downright insulting offer!
:)

Final call for offers. I’ll be at Cranage on Sunday and can bring this with me for handover.

Buy now while stocks last! When it’s gone, it’s gone!

Bumping this Supercap power supply. Excellent sonically, excellent aesthetically. Open to offers, PM me.

Missed ‘bay fee offer so still only advertising here. Price reduced to £175.

Huge capacitors are perfect for delivering almost instant current on demand - just what hifi components need to show what they’re capable of.

advertisement

Back