advertisement

So yeah, cables

*backs away slowly from thread*

I have only skimmed through the video but he mixes up "it makes a difference" with "it matters". The latter is for me to decide, not him.

And then, his differences are measured in nanoseconds down to fractions of a nanosecond? Really? I think I will stop there.

Has anyone noticed two clearly identifiable communities. One where cables matter because of tiny differences like this and another where DACs matter because of tiny differences in noise floor?

It's different ways of pursuing the hobby and what matters to each is not in dispute. AFAICS we all have our own particular obsessions but the two communities just prioritise different ones. They are fundamentally the same. Nevertheless I observe that the two still chuck rocks at each other. I probably risk offending both, but "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" springs to mind.

*backs away slowly from thread*

haha-stir-the-pot.gif

We've all experienced an audible improvement from changing speaker cables (haven't we?). I'm now asking myself a logical follow on question that covers the ground of this video at a much simpler level. If upgrading interconnects, do you really need to change all of them at once (not least given cost constraints) or can upgrading an interconnect in isolation make a difference? If the latter, where's the best place to start in a system? Upstream (e.g. the digital cable from the streamer to the DAC - or even the ethernet cable to the streamer) or working backwards and starting with the pre to power amp interconnects. My instinct says the former. Bit like there being no point in building a motorway if the approach road is narrow and full of potholes. Serious question as have (great) EWA speaker cables and considering upgrading my Chord Shawline interconnects.

We've all experienced an audible improvement from changing speaker cables (haven't we?). I'm now asking myself a logical follow on question that covers the ground of this video at a much simpler level. If upgrading interconnects, do you really need to change all of them at once (not least given cost constraints) or can upgrading an interconnect in isolation make a difference? If the latter, where's the best place to start in a system? Upstream (e.g. the digital cable from the streamer to the DAC - or even the ethernet cable to the streamer) or working backwards and starting with the pre to power amp interconnects. My instinct says the former. Bit like there being no point in building a motorway if the approach road is narrow and full of potholes. Serious question as have (great) EWA speaker cables and considering upgrading my Chord Shawline interconnects.
I've no wish to speak out of turn, but if you're thinking of trying some more EWA cables (which I was recently), there seems to be a few "issues" with the supplier....

We've all experienced an audible improvement from changing speaker cables (haven't we?).

Whilst there's clearly an audible 'difference' in cables as to whether the difference is perceived as better is wholly subjective and down to personal preference.
There's also the VFM factor, does one spend more £100's or £1000's on different cables or will the same amount spent on different components or room acoustics yield 'better' or more preferable results?

There was enough information on that cable comparison to keep a football team awake for a couple of months. None of it I could see was useful. I gave up.

I have found that there are fairly audible differences between the interconnects at the top and bottom of the quality level, though less so in the middle ground. Prices for "designer" commercial cables go way beyond what I see as their actual worth. I'd put a ceiling of £50 on a pair of RCA interconnects, maybe £100 downhill with a following wind.

As asked above re VFM, I'd spend the money elsewhere.

You need a full loom apparently;)

Whilst there's clearly an audible 'difference' in cables as to whether the difference is perceived as better is wholly subjective and down to personal preference.
There's also the VFM factor, does one spend more £100's or £1000's on different cables or will the same amount spent on different components or room acoustics yield 'better' or more preferable results?
There’s a certain point where I’d just buy better gear, that point is quite low. I saw some speaker cables for sale on the trade section which were £11k! I just can’t comprehend how that could possibly be justified.

There’s a certain point where I’d just buy better gear, that point is quite low. I saw some speaker cables for sale on the trade section which were £11k! I just can’t comprehend how that could possibly be justified.
In between your £100,000 amplifier and £100,000 speakers, I imagine, when all other possibilities have been evaluated with your £210,000 budget.

There is logic in having all the cables in a system from the same range, as this is more likely to mean that the characteristics are common from source to speaker, and you're not finding strengths on one cable undermined by weaknesses in another. Bear in mind, though, that not all cable manufacturers have a coherent approach, so it's not a case of 'more of the same, but better' as you move up their ranges, it may be 'different'.

There's logic in starting at the upstream end, source first and all that, and if funds are limited, start with the most often used device, obvs. But there's also logic in starting at the other end, in that the pre-to-power amp cable will benefit all devices connected to the pre, and will therefore extend the benefits of the speaker cable further up the chain. If it were me, and I'd already upgraded my speaker cable, I'd be looking at the equivalent analogue interconnects from the same range and working back from the power amp, for the 'all will benefit' reason above.

In between your £100,000 amplifier and £100,000 speakers, I imagine, when all other possibilities have been evaluated with your £210,000 budget.
A scenario that will never happen. It’s just nonsense, the idea that such equipment is exhaustively auditioned beggars belief. At that level it will be supplied via all kinds of intermediaries to some rich bloke with little time.

My dealer has fitted out yachts for billionaires, never actually met any of them or aware of any input from the end user.

A scenario that will never happen.
Of course, that's why I said it.
It’s just nonsense, the idea that such equipment is exhaustively auditioned beggars belief. At that level it will be supplied via all kinds of intermediaries to some rich bloke with little time.

My dealer has fitted out yachts for billionaires, never actually met any of them or aware of any input from the end user.
Such customers generally just need to know that they are buying "the best" and the measure of such is that it's reassuringly expensive. Just like the American pop stars who order Cristal Champagne because it's "the best". Have they tried a few then? DP, vintage Moet, Bolly? Of course not.

I remember that back in the 90s there was a chap from Grimsby who won quite some sum on the lottery. Being tactful, I'll say that he wasn't the most highly educated or discerning consumer. The local paper ran a big splash on him buying "the best hifi in the town", and there he was holding a pile of boxes that he had got from Binns, each being chosen as the most expensive in that particuar shop. But he'd got "the best" so he was happy.

Of course, that's why I said it.

Such customers generally just need to know that they are buying "the best" and the measure of such is that it's reassuringly expensive. Just like the American pop stars who order Cristal Champagne because it's "the best". Have they tried a few then? DP, vintage Moet, Bolly? Of course not.

I remember that back in the 90s there was a chap from Grimsby who won quite some sum on the lottery. Being tactful, I'll say that he wasn't the most highly educated or discerning consumer. The local paper ran a big splash on him buying "the best hifi in the town", and there he was holding a pile of boxes that he had got from Binns, each being chosen as the most expensive in that particuar shop. But he'd got "the best" so he was happy.
Sorry, I can longer detect irony on such matters;)

advertisement

Back