advertisement

so No mention of D'Agostinis Beatles vinyl reissues? 180 gram at £9.99?

ian r

401's Nakman
i have perused the music section somewhat and wonder if chaps have noticed this 'reissue' .... i havent googled the dagostini site to avoid years of spam but if its a real analogue source and not a digital one then some will surely be tempted

imassume itsa weekly thing

as i type im assuming its a subscription thing but i dont know if Smiffs etc will be selling it

if this has been covered somewhere then apols

Just had a look. Only the first is £9.99, for the remainder it's single albums for £16.99, and all double and triple albums are £24.99.
Wonder if they are the same pressings from a few years back? They were bloody good.

Mick

yes i recall they were well recomended

thanks for the update re prices

even so the price is cheaper than some options .... luckily i have originals from new

It has been covered here before in the Jazz thread.
There will be no retail sales according to the website. If you put post codes in to find retailers there are none, which is odd because 4 weeks ago every newsstand in Venice had issue 1 on sale.

I'm tempted to subscribe. At least it seems to have a pre-declared run of 23 titles, whereas I'm wondering quite where the Jazz thing will end as they just keep coming...

Mull

The start of Abbey Road where Come Together goes 'Ssssshum dum diddle duuum' is one of the joys of owning a decent hifi.

If the SQ of these releases is top class I might be tempted at £9.99 just for that bit.

Prompted the same reaction that I get when faced with ANOTHER cover of Mojo, Uncut, whatever with The Beatles ....

Why? Who really needs to read about them again? Who really needs another version of their work?

Playing the 'Abbey Road' Newsagent edition as l type and for a tenner sounds pretty darn good and quit.

"Here comes the sun.":cool:

i looked in Mono in glasgow yesterday and the prices for seem to be the same as mentioned above for 180gm reissues with th exception of the first 9.99 release

Can anyone suggest another source for the full Beatles vinyl experience which would comprehensively beat the D'Agostini offer at a sensible price?

For e.g., I saw a Japanese Pressing of Hard Days Night, with Obi, £39 at Bristol, which if repeated throughout would come in pretty expensive for the lot.

I have no Beatles vinyl except for an 80s White Album re press. I didn't buy the stuff at the time because everybody had it... :(

Mull

Mull, I bought the DeAgostini Abbey Road today. Listening to it now, it's brilliant for a tenner. As for the rest of them... The recent mono and stereo re-issues seem to be fairly well regarded and available at pretty much the same price as the DeAgostini ones. I suppose you get all the "gifts" and storage boxes and other ephemera with the DA issues, plus you don't have to make any other effort apart from setting up the subscription. As with the Jazz @33 & 1/3, the pressing is damn good...

I said to Mrs Rob that I wasn't going to subscribe, but I'm tempted...

Possibly, but I only have an 80s CD of Abbey Road to compare it against, so no other point of reference. It sounds better than the CD.

The DA is from a 2009 digital remaster, in stereo, and if I had the money to play such games I'd love to do a/b/c/d against a mint early pressing, the recent stereo and mono remasters and this one.

My only issue with this series of releases is that there are 2 recent, well regarded reissues easily available, so other than the ephemera and laziness, why would you buy the DA over the others?

It strikes me that in a very real sense, much of the debate around how to hear the original recordings of the Beatles, or anyone else for that matter... is a bit redundant.

I heard all of the Beatles stuff on A.M radio and a lot, though not all of it, on vinyl. The vinyl was mostly played on Dansettes or similar. As I said above I never bought any of the Beatles stuff at the time as my very limited funds went on anything I liked but was unlikely to hear at a friend's house etc.

It follows that the only reference point I have is memories of imperfect replay/broadcast from a long time ago.

So, ISTM that it further follows that any quiet pressing which doesn't have obvious tonal or mixing issues, could be accurate, as far as I'm ever likely to know.

I've just spent a bit of time looking at assorted reviews of recent Beatles Box Sets and seen a lot of complaints about surface noise, skips, pressing quality in general and damage to packaging etc. These are not accusations I could honestly hurl at D'agostini re: the Jazz at 33 series. I had one faulty pressing which was quickly replaced.

So, on balance it seems to me that the D'Agostini subscription is worth a 'punt'.

Mull

Mull, I am going to visit my mum in Widnes tomorrow morning. I could very easily go via Billinge rather than the M6.

If you want, and if you are at home around mid--morning, I'll drop off my DA Abbey Road so that you can decide if you want to subscribe to the rest of the series on the strength of it.

I tend to agree with your reasoning, I have early Mono copies of With The Beatles and Revolver, which if I sold, would probably pay for a good proportion of the entire Beatles catalogue via DeAgostini...

Offer much appreciated Rob, but I have to go out tomorrow.

As it happens, a friend of mine has a recent re-press of Abbey Rd, signed by no less than Geoff Emeric. ( This because my friend is the 'McCartney' in the Cavern Club Beatles and was chosen by Emeric to do the vocals for his touring show 'The Sessions at Abbey Rd.)

He brought this round to my place last week as he has no record player. (I'm helping him to source one)

In all honesty, Tony's copy of Abbey Rd sounded fine to me, though I'm not sure exactly which pressing it is.

Sort of confirms my view I suppose.

Mull

You're welcome Mull. The offer stands for as long as you want, if you want to compare with your friends copy with the DA one. I'm only about 15 - 20 mins up the road in Wigan, so it's no big effort to pop around.

What I did notice was thst there were very few copies of Abbey Road in WH Smiths compared to the great big stack of Kind Of Blue that was there when the Jazz @33 & 1/3 was released.

If it's any use, I would say the quality of the pressings are comparable with the Jazz ones.

advertisement

Back