advertisement

So here's a mystery for you! -> DAC plays too slow.

Ah sorry I got the origin of the original post mixed up!

Anyway, it definitely sounds.like a sampling rate problem: playing a high rate file at too low of frequency.

Confirming back the other tracks I had noticed were also 24/96.
What does that tell me?
I don't know what it tells you but you are the most credible person I've ever heard claim to be able to distinguish between 16/44 and 24/96.

I don't know what it tells you but you are the most credible person I've ever heard claim to be able to distinguish between 16/44 and 24/96.

Sorry?
I probably can't, but apparently my Dac can, since 16/44 plays at normal speed, and 24/96 does not.

So can you reproduce the problem with 24/96 files only?

In my case it happens when I play back 44.1kHz files after PC boot while the DAC already was powered on. Local LMS player is squeezelite. It sounds about one tone too high, so I guess my 44.1kHz files are played back as 48kHz files.

I fix this by power cycling the DAC. Do you think we have a similar or the same issue, just at different speeds?

This sounds like a problem with the settings in the upstream streamer/renderer. I’d look at that before the DAC.

Not sure if this is any use but years ago I had a succession of JKenny/Ciunas usb-spdif converters in 2018 there was an upgrade which resulted in hi-res files playing about 10% slow. This was solved by a firmware download.

advertisement

Back