advertisement

Snowdonia seen from Howth, Dublin

You can see Scotland, Wales, Ireland and England from Snaefell.

I’ve been told that, but some here won’t believe such a ridiculous claim. ;)

So I thought I’d relay something I’d seen with
My own eyes.

0ft asl, 65 miles, 2000ft
vs
500ft asl, 95 miles (?), 3000ft.

I really can’t see why not.

140 k = 86 miles. According to this guys site, a mountain needs to be 5000 feet to begin to be visible. Even looking from a vantage point 560 feet high, this still doesn't compute - Snowdon is 3500 feet.
However as the Wicklow Mountains (3000 feet) are a common site from North Wales, there is something either refractive or flat earth going on here. He does conclude "In the real world there are however atmospheric effects of mainly ray refraction that tend to cause objects beyond the theoretical horizon to sometimes be visible. Thus the visible setting sun is usually a little below the theoretical horizon. In like manner, the effect is to increase the apparent height of distant peaks."

True line of sight calculation, one end at sea level, over 150 km, requires the other end to be 1800m above sea level.
Refraction and ducting may allow you to sea mountains maybe down to 1000m asl. They will be distorted and shimmer
Mirages allow you to see much further, but would not be sharp like the OP photo

Last edited:
"riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs."

Grand part of the world, so it is.

Having lived in North Wales, I can verify that it's possible to see Ireland from the peaks of Snowdonia. The atmosphere has to be really clear though.

Great pic, it's quite easy to see Scotland on a clear day from the North Coastal area of N.Ireland and very easy to see IOM from the lower Ards peninsula or further south where I live in the Kilclief area. I'm sure given the correct circumstances it would be possible to see Wales from Eire.

We can see the Wicklow and Mourne mountains from Anglesey on a clear day and from an elevated position, say 70ft above sea level, very faint and small

No, I’m not. The Independent has covered the story in good faith so I’m happy to stand corrected. One hell of a powerful zoom lens tho.’
I wasn’t challenging your word at all, or that of the Independent. I was just making a veiled James Joyce reference in a desperate but doomed attempt to be accepted by the pfm literati.

IMO it is a fake - there's no one lens that can have that foreground of houses and the far distance (how many km?) captured in one frame.

I’ve seen, at sunset, the Isle of Man from Blackpool

A per pro nothing at all, Tony's recollection sparked one for me. I grew up in Blackpool and remember flights to IoM advertised on the back of corporation bus tickets for 52/6d:)

I want the original pic to be genuine and an example of what could be achieved if we can clean up the atmosphere, like @Steve67 says.

Jim

I think its legit, the photographer mentions the filter, which has heavily reduced the exposure to see the mountains in the background. You can see this with the heavy halo around the foreground trees, or its a 'HDR' two shots combined.

IMO it is a fake - there's no one lens that can have that foreground of houses and the far distance (how many km?) captured in one frame.
Focus stacked possibly, done automatically in Photoshop or maybe the houses were some distance away from the lens?

I think it's une homage to Rolf Liese's paintings:

R-7755054-1448115146-3824.jpeg.jpg
R-14415615-1574072351-3974.jpeg.jpg

Focus stacked possibly, done automatically in Photoshop or maybe the houses were some distance away from the lens?
I’ve been messing about on Google Maps, and I reckon that small black pagoda-like structure that appears to be on the shore (although it isn’t) is just under 1km from the photographer.

I’ve been messing about on Google Maps, and I reckon that small black pagoda-like structure that appears to be on the shore (although it isn’t) is just under 1km from the photographer.
So the foreground houses probably 500m away with an F5.6 ish aperture 500mm lens it might be doable in the one shot? I can't say as I've ever tried

I've walked the Howth coastal path and back over the Ben to the port. It's beautiful country at any time, with stunning views to the North and the South, especially on a clear day.
I've never seen that stunning view to the west (though the ferry traffic is interesting!), but the chap who took the photo is a professional, so I assume he knows what he's doing and has the equipment to allow him to do it. I would also assume that some readers of the Irish Independent would know the area well and recognise the buildings.
My daughter works with a young woman originally from near Dún Laoghaire, across Dublin bay, and she has confirmed that as a child growing up, she'd see Wales a handful of times a year.

advertisement

Back