advertisement

SMSL 400 AKM 4499 DAC, new toy.

I currently use a Gustard X20U which replaced an MDAC about 3 or 4 years ago. It was/is significantly better, IMO, than the MDAC, so I would be very interested to hear how one of these compares. I do use the I2S input, so that being the case I guess the SMSL.
Having said that the Soncoz would probably be OK, as I only use I2S because I can!

Clive, The SMSL has a higher output level on XLR than the Soncoz does, 5.3v vs 4v, so I tired it both ways, dacs maxed out and pre to attenuate to same level and I tried both dacs at as close to 4v on their own settings with the pre very slightly adjusted to get the best match.

It made no difference, I can't drive a fag paper between how these sound.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The aex is notoriously high jitter and it contains a really noisy smps with high earth leakage. BT from computer into dac will be better.

All the data on audiosciencereview suggests that you should choose between all these high performance dacs on features and aesthetics, there aren't going to be any audible differences unless you have problems with ground loops from using with a non Class ii PC, where there seem to be some different susceptibilities between manufacturers.

To be honest I used to agree with this idea that "good measure" = "sound about the same". Infact that was the case for a while for me, a Chinese DAC (SMSL D1) easily matching and in areas bettering my 4x more expensive German DAC.

However it is worth pointing out that at the time, I wasn't using all that great a source (USBridge, followed by Lakewest Mini-Streamer aka Pro-Ject Stream Box 2). Both measure well btw. Once I really upped the ante on both the source quality (NUC i7, passive case, industrial RAM), the quality of power feeding the source (SuperCaps in this case), along with some vibration treatments.... well the German DAC came flying out ahead in the end after all.

So yes, and I appreciate I'm certainly going to get a lot of "but ASR says they measure X" responses, if you feed the DACs with similarly OK source quality.... they will sound about the same.

To be honest I used to agree with this idea that "good measure" = "sound about the same". Infact that was the case for a while for me, a Chinese DAC (SMSL D1) easily matching and in areas bettering my 4x more expensive German DAC.

However it is worth pointing out that at the time, I wasn't using all that great a source (USBridge, followed by Lakewest Mini-Streamer aka Pro-Ject Stream Box 2). Both measure well btw. Once I really upped the ante on both the source quality (NUC i7, passive case, industrial RAM), the quality of power feeding the source (SuperCaps in this case), along with some vibration treatments.... well the German DAC came flying out ahead in the end after all.

So yes, and I appreciate I'm certainly going to get a lot of "but ASR says they measure X" responses, if you feed the DACs with similarly OK source quality.... they will sound about the same.
Likely we'll be told digital "transports" all sound the same. Along with competent DACs sound the same. I suppose the argument now is that the spec of what is regarded as "competent" has increased with these latest DACs - many competent DACs of a couple of years don't sound as good as these new ones so they aren't competent any more? I can live with that logic I guess though I don't believe even the competency supporters expected the goalposts to move so much and so quickly.

many competent DACs of a couple of years don't sound as good as these new ones so they aren't competent any more?

I suspect newer DACs are better at handling poorer srcs. Better jitter rejection etc. Not a bad thing by any means. But as mentioned now having conducted my own testing with a lot of srcs (now at JCAT XE USB card these days), this is my findings at least.

Worth mentioning I had the same amps, same DACs and the same speakers throughout this whole journey.

People develop a mindset and a belief system, myself included.

I was quite taken aback how much better these new DAC's were, having seen only step changes.
These new DACS are a leap forward.
The power supply on Si and my DIY DAC's comprises 5 rails of LiFeP04 batteries and supercapacitors which can supply around 350 Amps in total and these PSU's alone are the size of these new DAC's.

The PSU on my SMSL M400 is a tiny switched mode supply,(belief system dismantled !) and the total component count is around one tenth of that in the MDAC.
As I said on another forum maybe less is actually more.

The power supply on Si and my DIY DAC's comprises 5 rails of LiFeP04 batteries and supercapacitors which can supply around 350 Amps in total and these PSU's alone are the size of these new DAC's.

Many were feeding their IAN DACs with RPIs, and sometimes the USB Bridge Signature.

Having owned both (see my latest For Sale thread - had the USB Sig + Shanti for a while too), they're very decent VFM and very listenable sources, but against say an Sonore OpticalRendu (yep, I owned this and sold it too!) they too left quite a bit on the table especially in transients.

Anyway, commence "but they measure the same" wars :-D

The good thing is that the cost of entry to good sound is very inexpensive nowadays...the thing is to not upgrade too often the latest and greatest.

Take a look at the jitter on the usb input on the topping d90 akm 4499 dac. It really couldn't give two shits what anyone thinks about the quality of the usb source.

I'd suggest anyone who thinks either the smsl or soncoz are affected by jitter on the usb input is deluding themselves. My mbp has an awful usb output, I could hear my mouse and trackpad interaction through it on an mdac and Brooklyn, not any more.

Take a look at the jitter on the usb input on the topping d90 akm 4499 dac. It really couldn't give two shits what anyone thinks about the quality of the usb source.

I'd suggest anyone who thinks either the smsl or soncoz are affected by jitter on the usb input is deluding themselves. My mbp has an awful usb output, I could hear my mouse and trackpad interaction through it on an mdac and Brooklyn, not any more.

Yes, because JTest jitter tells you everything about a DAC.... right....

Well, I've said my piece :)

Just to add the SMSL D1 I had, had at the time one of the best cleanest jitter readouts of all DACs at the time. And yet I've sold it. I'll leave you lot to draw your own conclusions.

At least that’s great progress with DACs. Whether it’s the destination I’ve no idea...actually I don’t bother with USB any more anyway. Maybe I’ll come back to it with such DACs. We can understand why earlier DACs varied in sound with little provocation. Anyway I don’t want to turn this into battling thread, it’s too useful for that!

I haven't kept up with this forum for several years, but I was pointed to this thread by a friend and I'm pretty surprised by this statement, the belittlement to anyone who has a different view and the assumption that they're ultimately delusional is almost verging on ignorance. I assume that wasn't the intention as I remember PFM being a great community!

Any digital input, regardless of whether it's USB, SPDIF or even I2s direct, is not solely affected by jitter and this has been known for a long time. Yes you can re-clock it and yes you can put that process behind an isolated layer, however, that doesn't mean all underlying technical challenges of high-speed digital circuits are resolved or we would see it being used in military and medical projects. I think there would be of benefit to invest time reading EE books around digital circuits before you make such a holistic claim or don't make the claim at all. As this is very well understood and could cause other people to make ill-informed investment decisions.

I cannot imagine how poorly your system was implemented prior, where you could hear mouse/trackpad interaction through your hi-fi. On that basis, it's really difficult for me personally to trust your subjective statements and more insight into your chain would be appreciated. I'm quite confident that if you cannot hear a difference between two dacs which have different power supplies, DAC chips, oscillators and output stages, there is an underlying cause. I'd suggest you look into further optimisations of your system as out of the 100+ components within each dac will certainly be leaving a footprint.

In regards to your statements about the Ian Canada Dac, I find those interesting, as I too own it. With some slight differences. I have Ian's un-released prototype boards for the larger ultracaps across all my voltage rails, use accusilicon clocks rather than crystek and Bisesik transformers. For me personally, it has zero digital glare, in comparisons that I have made to dacs at a variety of price points albeit only a few. The only way, I could maximise the Ian DAC was through using a well-designed USB input board that has an isolation barrier, utilised xmos 208 and NDK clocks (NDK's aren't active, use the FIFO board as a master). If you feed it I2s through the GPIO, you are limiting it significantly for several reasons (one of them being jitter). I have tried with a PI and a USBbridge Sig, but both now sit in a cupboard.

I hope to have manufacturers prototype AK4499 DAC in the next 4-6 weeks for testing. It's using a discrete oscillator, op-amp output stage and a xmos implementation and will be interesting to see if my thoughts reflect yours and maybe even a dac-off compared to off-the-shelf chi-fi would be of great benefit.

If you'd like any help in looking to improve your Ian dac, to achieve what it should do or provide insight into why you MBP may be introducing sound through your previous dacs. Please let me know, happy to help :)

I have Ian's un-released prototype boards for the larger ultracaps across all my voltage rails, use accusilicon clocks rather than crystek and Bisesik transformers.

One of the reasons I purchased the SMSL M400. Ians Ultracap board would add yet another £ 120/150 into the mix, I also use Bisesik transformers but NDK clocks on the FIFO.
The week before buying my new DAC I added a fifth rail to give separate power to the clocks, from the 0.08uV ripple Allo Shanti. All the rails are fed with added 2.5F supercaps. This removed yet another veil but still left me unsatisfied.

Upon listening to the M400 I realised how far behind Ian's stack was..

Both DAC's were fed from USBridge Sig, Ians through GPIO and the M400 from the USB out.

@misterdog - have you listened to the Soncoz compared to your smsl?
If so do you hear any difference in how they sound, digital harshness, Sound staging?

Last edited:
One of the reasons I purchased the SMSL M400. Ians Ultracap board would add yet another £ 120/150 into the mix, I also use Bisesik transformers but NDK clocks on the FIFO.
The week before buying my new DAC I added a fifth rail to give separate power to the clocks, from the 0.08uV ripple Allo Shanti. All the rails are fed with added 2.5F supercaps. This removed yet another veil but still left me unsatisfied.

Upon listening to the M400 I realised how far behind Ian's stack was..

Both DAC's were fed from USBridge Sig, Ians through GPIO and the M400 from the USB out.

Sounds like a good dac!

I'm not a fan of the shanti, although it is unbeatable for the price. I have had a better experience with LT3045's - particularly the mpaudio stuff (https://www.mpaudio.net/) a bit more expensive but quite a difference on SQ.

I haven't tried the smaller supercaps, I currently use 2x325F across each rail. Which might be a sonic difference. My dac isn't in rotation at the moment, so more than happy to send out my ultracap board for you to test. I'd be curious to know how it then compares to the M400.

advertisement

Back