advertisement

Smoothing caps

Geoffreybombom

pfm Member
Do smoothing caps affect sound? I need two for my A&R A60, 10000uf 50 volt, some are £8 each they are Vishay, some are £21 they are Mundorf. If I pay more will I get difference? Thanks.

Do smoothing caps affect sound? I need two for my A&R A60, 10000uf 50 volt, some are £8 each they are Vishay, some are £21 they are Mundorf. If I pay more will I get difference? Thanks.
I'd personally use the Vishay's in the power supply, Mundorf's in the signal path,but I could be wrong?

Last edited:
I tried a couple of caps as smoothers, but not the Vishays. The Mundorf sounded best, Kemet slit foil caps came close.

Last edited:
I used these Nichicon KG Super Through in my A60 and they perform very well and the physical size is the same as the originals. And they last very long.

I've just got ordinary ones in my A60 cos I needed one in a hurry & they were readily available. They sounded no different to the old ones, which was just fine to my corduroy ears. They're bypassed with polypropylene ones of some value that are supposed to improve things, one way or another.

Thank you, did you notice any sound difference?
Compared to the original, yes, big improvement on punch and dynamic.
But……..the original we about 30 years old so probably half dead.
I also put these same Nichicon caps in some Naim chrome bumper amps and they perform very well.

advertisement

Back