advertisement

Smoke/CO Alarms?

Seems like a lot. Why so many? I've never seen any domestic property with this level of protection.

As mentioned, at first glance, that's what I seem to require in accordance with the aforementioned new legislation in Scotland:-

2 rooms are used as 'living rooms', plus the hall, so 3 smoke alarms.
1 kitchen, so 1 heat alarm.
2 rooms with gas appliances, so 2 CO alarms.

Change it to an optical type

Just checked the alarms turns out they are due for replacement. I will be looking at optical sensors.

As per other posts the meet current Scottish regs we would need a heat alarm in the kitchen and a smoke alarm in the living room to comply with latest standards.

House burned next to the GF years ago. 14 people living in a Duplex -plus a couple and their small kid in the attic. Completely changed my attitude towards smoke -kids being handed out to me where all I could see (just as well -husband was naked) would be a kid comin out the window and arms up to the elbows in the smoke.Everybody got out -but it was a close thing. I now know why firemen are OCD about asking everybody in sight if everyone has gotten out-couple on third floor were dangling their kid out a attic window gettin ready to drop him on the driveway. Naked guy broke into his garage and got his extension ladder -we'd gotten the folks out of the attic when the fireman showed up. Residents lost everything except their lives. Building was a rental property owned by a local building inspector - not a single smoke detector.

advertisement

Back