advertisement

Smoke alarm replacement

Nero

Re: Tired
This is as good a place as any to ask the question.
I have three mains powered smoke alarms, interconnected by hardwiring. One of them has decided to bleep every 45 seconds, and the bleep comes from the base, not from the removable alarm bit. I’ve replaced all the batteries but no joy. I found something on t’internet about resetting the memory, involving removing the battery and holding the button down until it clears.
No joy.
Interestingly, removing mains power still causes the base part to bleep, so I guess there’s also a capacitor in there too.
The alarm type is a Dicon brk 670MBX and drop in replacements seem to be unavailable. The expiry date on this one is 2023 so maybe it needs replacing anyway.
Anyone familiar with this problem? I tried googling ‘digital water torture’ to no effect.

I did try playing some Bon Iver, and that helped to blend in the bleep, but I can’t do that all night.

Hmm, I sort of decided a while back I would never have a Nest or similar connected device in the house. I can’t help thinking that I’ll get calls from insurance companies and undertakers once it’s installed :)

Yep the I recently had the same problem,seemingly the radioactive part of the sensor is no longer radioactive,didnt know it was, it eventually got too much, i unplugged the unit, thinking it would stop the bleeping, but that only caused the upstairs unit to start beeping, anyway long story short, two new units needing to be installed by a competent electrician

Probably out of their remit......but the local fire brigade replaced mine, but they were just battery operated affairs. No complicated elecktrickery involved, possibly worth asking anyway though, shy bairns get no sweets as the saying goes.

S

Yes I have a suspicion it is related to the other connected units. That’s why I replaced all three batteries. Maybe I need to reset all three

Probably out of their remit......but the local fire brigade replaced mine, but they were just battery operated affairs. No complicated elecktrickery involved, possibly worth asking anyway though, shy bairns get no sweets as the saying goes.

S
Not a bad call, even if they simply recommend a decent local installer. Is their number still 999?

I have more smoke alarms than you can shake a stick at because I have some rental properties, and they are a legal requirement on every floor of every letting. My advice is to buy a cheap battery operated one from Screwfix or similar, one with a 10 year guarantee. Nothing more sophisticated is necessary or desirable. This sort of thing

FireAngel ST-622Q Thermoptek Smoke Alarm | Smoke Alarms | Screwfix.com

I have more smoke alarms than you can shake a stick at because I have some rental properties, and they are a legal requirement on every floor of every letting. My advice is to buy a cheap battery operated one from Screwfix or similar, one with a 10 year guarantee. Nothing more sophisticated is necessary or desirable. This sort of thing

FireAngel ST-622Q Thermoptek Smoke Alarm | Smoke Alarms | Screwfix.com
Thanks. That’s certainly an option. How important is it to have them connected in some way? I see some can connect to each other wirelessly. I quite like the idea of the upstairs one going off if there’s smoke downstairs. Might give us a few extra seconds.

In Scotland from next February there are new requirements, interlinked fire alarms compulsory with heat sensor in kitchen, smoke alarm in living room, hall spaces and outside bedrooms.

Yes better if interlinked if possible. Just had some wireless fitted as didn't want to disturb a laminate floor .

Aico, 10 year lithium battery and can be wirelessly interlinked. Mains versions also.
Smoke, heat, CO
My first choice for standard domestic.

Yep the I recently had the same problem,seemingly the radioactive part of the sensor is no longer radioactive,didnt know it was, it eventually got too much, i unplugged the unit, thinking it would stop the bleeping, but that only caused the upstairs unit to start beeping, anyway long story short, two new units needing to be installed by a competent electrician
Smoke detectors usually use Americium 241, which is an alpha particle emitter, so safe unless ingested. It has a 432 year half life, so running down in our lifespan is not an issue.

Mains connected wire/smoke alarms are a monumental PITA.

I eventually gave up on farting around with them and replaced them with simple battery units.

Aico, 10 year lithium battery and can be wirelessly interlinked. Mains versions also.
Smoke, heat, CO
My first choice for standard domestic.
We had such a system installed in three rooms by an electrician to meet the new legal requirement in Scotland ( deferred till 2022). I think it had to be actually installed by an electrician for some reason. Cost was £350. It’s a fat market for them with the huge private rental market in Edinburgh in particular.

advertisement

Back