advertisement

SME Series 2 - non improved - outrider weight issue

Stunsworth

pfm Member
I have the above arm, but the section of the counter weight that holds the outrider weight is loose and the outrider arm and weight droops downwards.

What's meant to hold the weight in place - the screw that used to retain the rider arm in place is tightened. I'm not at home at the moment, but I think it may be the whole of the tube to the rear of the arm that's rotating.

I'm using a stylus balance so there's no affect on the tracking weight.

Thanks.

Without seeing it it is hard to say for sure but it certainly sounds like the sagging counterweight issue common to older 3009s. Recommended fix is to replace the (perished/worn out) coupling rubbers towards the back of the arm. See here for a 'how to' video:

Without seeing it it is hard to say for sure but it certainly sounds like the sagging counterweight issue common to older 3009s. Recommended fix is to replace the (perished/worn out) coupling rubbers towards the back of the arm. See here for a 'how to' video:

Many thanks.

If you go this route, just be careful you don't put undue pressure on the knife edge bearing surfaces when cutting/prying the rubber bushings out.

If you go this route, just be careful you don't put undue pressure on the knife edge bearing surfaces when cutting/prying the rubber bushings out.

Thanks. After watching the video I think I'll get the arm fixed when I have the turntable (TD124) serviced. I'm planning on having that done sometime next year.

Hi Stunsworth, I had (still have) a couple of 3009 Series II arms which had the 'coupling' replaced (one needed it, the other was just O.C.D. on my part), but it's a very common problem.
The couplings were replaced, bearings checked, and in one case the arm lowering mechanisms 're-filled' when being re-wired @ Audio Origami. J.N. is a delight to deal with, extremely courteous, and nothing ever seems to be too much trouble - highly recommended.
Regards
Mike Kelshaw

Hi Stunsworth, I had (still have) a couple of 3009 Series II arms which had the 'coupling' replaced (one needed it, the other was just O.C.D. on my part), but it's a very common problem.
The couplings were replaced, bearings checked, and in one case the arm lowering mechanisms 're-filled' when being re-wired @ Audio Origami. J.N. is a delight to deal with, extremely courteous, and nothing ever seems to be too much trouble - highly recommended.
Regards
Mike Kelshaw

Thanks, I was planning to get the turntable serviced at NorthWest Analogue as I can drive there fairly easily - I wouldn't trust the TT to a courier. I believe they can also service the arm. Interesting that you mention the lift, ideally that would need looking at too.

Thanks for the lead. If there are any issues that NWA can't resolve I'll certainly be in touch with Audio Origami.

Thanks, I was planning to get the turntable serviced at NorthWest Analogue as I can drive there fairly easily ----

I'm sure Dominic @ NWA will be able to 'sort you out' - He was extremely helpful with my 401, Natalie and himself actually returned it to Reading in 2011, as I was not too well at the time.

Regards
Mike Kelshaw

I've done a couple of the decoupling grommet replacements over the years and it is not hard if you take your time and are careful. The grommet kit is just over £20 IIRC. Oddly my in-use SME is still working perfectly fine with what I assume is its original set, though I have a grommet kit in its box waiting for them to fail!

I've done a couple of the decoupling grommet replacements over the years and it is not hard if you take your time and are careful. The grommet kit is just over £20 IIRC. Oddly my in-use SME is still working perfectly fine with what I assume is its original set, though I have a grommet kit in its box waiting for them to fail!

Thanks Tony, my practical skills aren’t very good so I’d prefer this to be done by someone who knew what they were doing.

Just watching the YouTube video above and no way would I do this with the arm fixed to the deck. Why he’s doing it that way is beyond me, it is so easy to remove the arm and you’ll have far less chance of damaging the arm bearings with it off, plus it means, you have far better visibility of what you are doing.

advertisement

Back