advertisement

SME Model 60 coming up, apparently

That may just be a very early prototype cobbled together from biscuit tins, but it would seem to offer further evidence that SME has lost its design mojo. Not a great look after the Hornby trainset controller which was their last effort I saw.

A real shame. They need to hire a new designer/engineer to do their meticulous production processes justice.

Amazing heritage behind the company and a perfect example of where some good industrial design could be transformational to their sales.

I think you are all a bit harsh!

The biscuit tins are presumably housing a new/different suspension system.

I agree with the trainset controller comment from @notevenclose though (assuming he was referring to the Model 6 PSU) - who gave the OK on that?!

That's just horrendous.

Who do Hifi engineering companies have such bad visuals designers. I mean, that's so bad, its something I'd expect it being made in an old fella's shed in Yorkshire in the 70's, not in style conscious 2022.

Seriously, SME need to accept that people who like that sort of crap are not far away from the grave and the future of their company is in a younger generation.

Given how few 30's have ever sold I'm astonished they think there is any market at all for an even more expensive offering.

TBH the SME designs have never "floated my boat" sonically despite all the engineering. Tonearms in isolation similarly.

I did think that this was fake news, but apparently not! Maybe it will appeal to overseas buyers with deep pockets, but to these eyes it looks rather boring and derivative. At least it does not look like it needs a fork lift truck for the installation!

They'll sell a total of two to Russian oligarch stepdaughters/wives, to be left collecting dust in numbered company owned houses in London as ornaments.

Regardless, New SME will subsequently find a way to describe all of their lower models as having somehow retroactively inherited strands of DNA from this soon to be regarded as highly successful über-deck.

advertisement

Back