advertisement

SME 4-pin cartridge connectors for 3012

Rexton

Wakefield Turntables
Guys,

My 3012 has lost a channel due to a faulty pin in the cartridge connector. I'm trying to source a new one, a call to SME is my first job tomorrow, but, just in case, any idea's where I can source a new one? This is what I'm looking for

emt3.jpg

Thanks

Andy

Are you absolutely certain the pin is broken rather than just dirty? I’ve fixed intermittent connections on 3009s with Deoxit, a cotton bud and working the pin against its spring multiple times. Definitely worth a go if in any doubt. It really needs to be spotless, and many aren’t 50 years on!

Really try working it, the pins are on springs and should move in and out freely. I’m not certain but I suspect they may have had some lube that went sticky with time. Whilst not uneven as you describe mine certainly freed up with cleaning and a little exercise and are really nice and springy now. You’ve nothing to loose as the worst case is you end up where you are and need to replace the connector.

PS Cleaning this whole area brings reward, the headshell too as the arm-ground is made via the socket sides, pin etc. Deoxit and isopropyl are both useful. Everything needs to be spotless IMO. The armbase too (though I replaced mine with RCAs).

SME still supply the parts, it's expensive, but at least you know your going to get a brand new part which will fit. I'd sooner spend a few extra quid for the piece of mind.

Hi Alan,
May I have the temerity to mention that the two links appear to be to a 'Canadian' tonearm site, however, I must also quickly add, that I actually bought an SME 'Bias Weight Guide' from them a year or so ago.
In the more distant past, I bought parts directly from SME (Steyning), but I don't know whether they still supply parts or service for the 'older' tone arms.
Regards
Mike K.

I bought parts directly from SME (Steyning), but I don't know whether they still supply parts or service for the 'older' tone arms..

Yes they do supply parts, you need to speak to Bill ( I think that's his name), not sure if they service the tonearms but they are prepared to sell bits for the 3012, I suppose it's a case of calling seeing what's still in stock.

Don't know yet Tony, I've not mounted it back on my 301 and I'm awaiting my SPU back from repair. I've got some new decoupling rubbers to be installed so I'm hoping this makes a nice improvement.

Hi Alan,
May I have the temerity to mention that the two links appear to be to a 'Canadian' tonearm site, however, I must also quickly add, that I actually bought an SME 'Bias Weight Guide' from them a year or so ago.
In the more distant past, I bought parts directly from SME (Steyning), but I don't know whether they still supply parts or service for the 'older' tone arms.
Regards
Mike K.
Mike yes sorry you are correct I was looking for the Steyning site as thats where I bough parts before I thought that link was there old site but unfortunately not
SME | Precision Turntables & Tonearms
Alan

Hi Alan,
It would be very interesting to know whether SME still service, or actually have any spare parts for any of the 3xxx series arms.
I noticed some time ago that there appeared to be many genuine N.O.S. spare parts become available for the older arms via 'e-pay', and I wondered whether that was because SME were only concentrating on the 'M' series arms, and that at one point, they stopped supplying any arms other than those fitted to one of their turntables.
Out of interest, I've just checked back through my old e-mails and found that the last time I actually purchased some 3009 R parts directly from SME was in 2016.
Regards
Mike K.

I’m pretty sure for a long time now they’ve had some parts, but not others, i.e. they were sitting on a lot of old stock, not still making any fresh parts. As an example you stand no chance of the heavier counterweights for 3009s or 3012s to balance SPUs. They all went long, long ago. I’ve not dealt with them since they changed hands, but they were always really helpful and could often find parts. I bought an additional clip-on weight for the rider-wight and a bias weight from them. For other more obscure parts I used the Canadian website, e.g. they had NOS acorn nuts for the baseplate which were really useful if some idiot had ever taken a screwdriver to the originals and chewed the heads (I just use the SME plastic box spanner, you really don’t want ‘Linn-tight’ anywhere near a SME). I think I bought my RCA arm-base from eBay, but it may have been SME.

PS I’d expect the headshell collar to be standard with the M2-xR arms, so they’ll have those. Same with bias weights etc. A lot is standard across this whole linage.

Plenty of parts are still available if your prepared to hunt around and yes SME still do sell spare parts, CALL AND CHECK! Recently my 3012 has had a new Yoke, coupling rubbers, base plate rubbers, and bias weight, all NOS from recommended sellers.

advertisement

Back