advertisement

SME 3012

jan tomczak

pfm Member
Does this look like an original 3012 s2 early version? it has the split weight…is it the correct head shell?

It comes with extra counter weights and shure carts…looks genuine to me tho difficult to assess condition from photos.

Is it worth the expense to have it re-wired and cleaned up and in good working order by someone with experience of these arms?.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Looks legit to me. I can’t see anything other than general filth I don’t like. Especially good as it comes with both main weights and the rider-weight, i.e. it is usable with anything from the M55Es pictured (very good carts IMO) right up to an SPU without needing to fart about with third-party weights. The external arm cable will be bad, but the plug is there so wiring another up is no issue, the internal wiring is very likely ok if a little stiffer than ideal. No issue at all if you plan to use it with carts like an SPU or 103, only factors on the map for things like V15s, which are happier in a 3009 Imp anyway.

If it cleans up nicely, which chances are it will (they are very, very well made) the price isn’t over the top, especially if by any chance that is a solid shell in the other box (plus some mug, e.g. me, will likely buy the M55Es assuming the styli are good!). The extra heavy counterweight is worth a lot on its own. Date-wise it is arguably peak Series II, about 1964-66 to my eyes. It is definitely worth a lot more than a single-weight 3012 which needs additional purchases or mods to balance a SPU.

Looks legit to me. I can’t see anything other than general filth I don’t like. Especially good as it comes with both main weights and the rider-weight, i.e. it is usable with anything from the M55Es pictured (very good carts IMO) right up to an SPU without needing to fart about with third-party weights. The external arm cable will be bad, but the plug is there so wiring another up is no issue, the internal wiring is very likely ok if a little stiffer than ideal. No issue at all if you plan to use it with carts like an SPU or 103, only factors on the map for things like V15s, which are happier in a 3009 Imp anyway.

If it cleans up nicely, which chances are it will (they are very, very well made) the price isn’t over the top, especially if by any chance that is a solid shell in the other box (plus some mug, e.g. me, will likely buy the M55Es assuming the styli are good!). The extra heavy counterweight is worth a lot on its own. Date-wise it is arguably peak Series II, about 1964-66 to my eyes. It is definitely worth a lot more than a single-weight 3012 which needs additional purchases or mods to balance a SPU.
Thanks for your help and input Tony.👍

Jan,
I don't consider myself an expert on SME tone arms, although I owned my first in the mid 70's and still own several versions of the 3009 models.
However, my first reaction would be that that particular arm seems rather over priced given it's rather 'ratty' appearance, There isn't a real shortage of SME arms, for example here's another https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23533484...pid=5338728743&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1.
My advice would be to look carefully for a better example, because refurbishing / re-wiring isn't inexpensive.
Regards
Mike K.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
True, though I don’t think that one is any better value as the headshell looks mashed-up, the bias hanger is not right for the arm (it is from a 3009 Improved, it will work great, but never look right!), it has neither the extra heavy weight (£200+), nor the rider-weight (£40), and that’s before knowing if there is a solid shell in the box. The manky external arm cable shouldn’t put anyone off, it is easy work for anyone who knows how to use a soldering iron to make a nice one. The plug is the important part. That said I do think £1500 is too expensive, and it has been there for a good while, so I’d make an offer a couple of hundred down if I was interested, plus I’d confirm what the headshell situation is (solid ones are worth good money).

Jan,
I don't consider myself an expert on SME tone arms, although I owned my first in the mid 70's and still own several versions of the 3009 models.
However, my first reaction would be that that particular arm seems rather over priced given it's rather 'ratty' appearance, There isn't a real shortage of SME arms, for example here's another https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23533484...pid=5338728743&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1.
My advice would be to look carefully for a better example, because refurbishing / re-wiring isn't inexpensive.
Regards
Mike K.
Thanks, i get it...have seen the one you link to, (condition described as 'average'). Being vintage arms the chances are they will need a bit of work to clean and tidy them up anyway. But have been made an offer for it quite below the listed price and counter offered a touch less...

Jan,
Congratulations, I'm glad to see that you paid a more 'realistic' price.

Tony,
You obviously have much more experience of actually 'working' on SME arms than I. :)
I still own the 3009 S2 Improved (Fixed H/Shell) that I 'exchanged' for a 3009 SII courtesy of a scheme offered by SME, when they introduced the S2 variants. The SII was originally fitted to a TD 124 II which I had purchased s/hand in the mid '70's.
Since then I have acquired and still own a couple of 3009 SII's and a 3009R, all of which have been serviced / re-wired by J.N. @ 'Audio Origami'
Strangely, although no doubt aesthetically incorrect, I prefer the look of the later 'pulley' equiped bias weight hangers and used one with the SII arm that was last in use on my TD124 II.
Sadly, the 124 is currently not in use, and is waiting for me to get enough motivation to 'strip' and clean it. :(
Regards
Mike K.

£1,100 offer accepted, we'll see how the goodies are once they arrive.

I have a feeling that could be a distinct win! Worth spending some time reading up a few restoration threads. My bet is it needs little more than a thorough cleaning and a new arm cable, maybe a new decoupling rubber for the rear counterweight stem. I’d not think about internal rewiring at this point unless there is very good reason. I’ve got four 3009s, all with their original wiring at this point. As I say any slight stiffening only becomes an issue with carts tracking at 1g or less, and only in the lateral plane (vertical is amazingly low-friction in any SME knife-edge arm).

Just really clean it. That involves dismantling as much as possible, but there is no need to desolder anything if you are careful. The pre-Improved 3009 in most pictures of my TD-124 was bright yellow when I bought it, just so much nicotine staining and crud. It looks brand new now, it was just dirty. The problems come if any ‘Linn tight‘ moron got hold of it in the ‘80s, which is unlikely with a 3012. That was the era bolts were over-tightened to destruction. I’ve seen some SMEs ruined by it, but thankfully very few. Ittoks and Basik Plus arms were the usual victims, many ruined by the dealer before the customer even took the deck home!

PS Buy some of this foam cleanser! Since Servisol 30 vanished it is much the same and seems to work as well. It will cut through the grime without any abrasive issues.

I have a feeling that could be a distinct win! Worth spending some time reading up a few restoration threads. My bet is it needs little more than a thorough cleaning and a new arm cable, maybe a new decoupling rubber for the rear counterweight stem. I’d not think about internal rewiring at this point unless there is very good reason. I’ve got four 3009s, all with their original wiring at this point. As I say any slight stiffening only becomes an issue with carts tracking at 1g or less, and only in the lateral plane (vertical is amazingly low-friction in any SME knife-edge arm).

Just really clean it. That involves dismantling as much as possible, but there is no need to desolder anything if you are careful. The pre-Improved 3009 in most pictures of my TD-124 was bright yellow when I bought it, just so much nicotine staining and crud. It looks brand new now, it was just dirty. The problems come if any ‘Linn tight‘ moron got hold of it in the ‘80s, which is unlikely with a 3012. That was the era bolts were over-tightened to destruction. I’ve seen some SMEs ruined by it, but thankfully very few. Ittoks and Basik Plus arms were the usual victims, many ruined by the dealer before the customer even took the deck home!

PS Buy some of this foam cleanser! Since Servisol 30 vanished it is much the same and seems to work as well. It will cut through the grime without any abrasive issues.

I think so, yes. Considering we have the extra counter weights and a NOS shure cart it seems a decent deal.

My current pre-improved 3009 (which came with the 401) is still with the original wiring and phono cable, and along with the ‘still’ smooth operation of the arm lift, it’s all working very well. (Only gave it a good clean from initial purchase).

I’ll assume a certain % of disassembly of the 3012 would be relatively straight forward for a thorough clean…I’ll google for info.

The Servisol was very good so I’ll get some of that new stuff from your link, thanks.

Once again, until I receive the goods I’ll not know how good/bad they are, didn’t look too bad from the photos and certainly wasn’t put off by them.

Goodies have arrived...and very nice they are! The tonearm wand is in excellent condition, the chrome is almost mint…no scratches or nicks, just a really teeny mark from the underside at where it sits on the armrest and a little tarnish where the locking nut is…all very minor!

The satin finished parts are also in very good condition, no scratches or nicks… just a good clean to get rid of what dirt there is, I would add they’re not as filthy as I thought they’d be…

The arm cueing mech is faulty tho, so that needs fixing…it lifts up smooth but drops quick. Also the phono cable don’t look too clever, tho I have a spare one which is in good nick.

I’m in two minds as to which way forward (keep as is) or send the arm to have it internally rewired? or even a complete from head to phono rewire? If I send it then the cueing mech can get fixed aswell…I’ve no experience in dismantling a tonearm to fix the cueing mech!

Advice most welcome as always…

Looks lovely.

If ever in doubt about vintage SME arms, you can always try contacting the SME service department. They have all the knowledge, expertise and are very helpful.

I have a 3012 arm and managed to lose the dashpot rubber ‘mushroom’ when cleaning and replacing coupling. I will replace this and then get to the business of trying to sort out the arm lowering action. There is a thread on another forum about this and I bought the following on their recommendation:

Looks like that will clean up really well. Some pictures are missing, did it come with a solid shell?

PS If you decide to offload them I could be interested in the M55Es if the styli are in good shape.

Ended up sending the arm to Johnnie at audio origami, he re-wired it and had the cueing mech fixed aswell, super smooth action now. Bearings checked and all good.

He also fitted new phono rca connectors to the original cable, original plug in good shape also.

@Tonyl, there wasn’t a second headshell, just the one with the perforations. I do have the nos M55e cart tho.

A few more days before plinth is finished then the 3012 can be mounted and we’ll see how it performs (will use the M55e cart that was already fitted to the headshell) not the nos one.

Nearly there, plinth butchery completed. Just sizing things up with the 3012l…nothing permanently fixed yet.

Armboard corners to get a small radius and a few coats of danish oil then we’ll get it downstairs and plonk the mk1 in the plinth. Was gonna have the armboard flush with plinth but like it this way…a few pics...

edit: looks like you have to click the red x to see pics?

Finally got the 3012 mounted…(lent a mate my drill so couldn’t pilot the 4 holes for the arm plate) so just that to do!. Still, it was stable enough to give ‘Ventura Highway’ a spin…sounded very energetic, very pleased with what I heard!.

The arm has cleaned up so well, really is in good looking shape now. With the rewire and cueing mech, the arm is in optimum working order now. Certainly can’t fault the Shure M55E cart either, re-installed the old/used one that was previously fitted to the shell, hopefully plenty of life in it for the foreseeable future…

advertisement

Back