advertisement

[FS] SME 3009 series 1 tonearm with bakelite headshell

starbuck

pfm Member
Time to sell up some bits I am not presently using nor likely to be going forwards. First up is this lovely SME 3009 series 1 tonearm complete with original SME branded bakelite headshell. It has had one owner prior to me from new and is in very, very nice condition albeit not quite mint, it comes with original hammertone colour screening can, optional and often then lost bias weight hanger and bias weight, and original output cable too (though RCA plugs have been changed at some point prior to my purchase).

It is in lovely cosmetic condition barring a couple of scuffs to the outside of the headshell (the side nearest the spindle having the worst so not really noticeable when playing a record), plus a small area of the front lower edge of the headshell has been neatly filed away, I think, and there is a heat/scorch dent on the underside edge of the headshell from where it looks like the previous owner attempted a repair of the cartridge leads whilst in situ and touched the area with a soldering iron. The cartridge leads were grotty/falling to pieces so have been discarded and none are included, I'll leave it to the new owner to decide what they want to use. There are a couple of small scuffs to the metal work around the base plate but they are small and not very easy to spot, so I'm not sure if they are visible in the photos.

Functionally it is excellent shape with only some of the expected sag at the rear rubber coupler, and the lift/lower device is no longer damped. The lift mechanism functions as it is, you just need to operate the lever manually when lowering or the arm will drop, and it is possible to replenish the silicone (300000cst recommended) with some guidance provided to me previously here although I never got around to it: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/sme-3009-series-1-armlift.266801/#post-4658669. There is full continuity from the headshell pins through to the RCA phono plugs. The arm was previously fitted to a Garrard 301 and was grounded through the turntable in that set up, with the ground fitted to the SME still being present and about 20cm in length. Obviously a new/longer ground wire would be easy to install, I'll leave it to the new owner to sort out to best suit their set up. I have attached loads of photos of the arm below from all angles, hopefully, so you can assess for yourself the condition. Price wise these are obviously quite rare, the most recent sale prices on ebay were £922 and £1356 for ones which were missing the headshell and which needed re-wiring and some other parts to complete them, there is a serviced example for sale at present at £1795.00. I'd like £1000.00 for mine which I hope is an okay price for established pinkfishers. Postage at cost if needed (I'm near Lowestoft, Suffolk for collection/inspection purposes), well packed in non-iriginal packaging. Thorens TD124 armboard not included in sale.

Some photos:
P5250018 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250019 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250020 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250021 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250022 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250023 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250024 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250025 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250026 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250027 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250028 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250029 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250030 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250031 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250032 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250033 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250034 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250035 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

P5250036 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

More images to follow in second post as too many for one...

advertisement

Back