advertisement

SME 3009 series 1 - cartridge options

starbuck

pfm Member
It is going to be a while before I am actually at the point of needing a cartridge for it - selecting the turntable and getting the arm fitted to it is the first hirdle -, but I was wondering what options I have for suitable cartridges for a series 1 SME 3009? An SPU seems to be the obvious choice based on what I have briefly read about the series 1, I wonder are there any other good cartridge matches (MM or MC)? The arm has its original Bakelite headshell so that can be utilised if something besides an SPU was to be installed.

The vast majority who own them do so to run an SPU, a real classic combination, though I’ve seen a couple on Japanese sites with Koetsus etc.

I don’t know the counterweight situation with the Series I in any detail. I assume it will balance an SPU with the standard counterweight, but you may find it struggles with more modern lighter carts, especially in modern headshells. If it was mine I’d just stick the best SPU I could afford in it and consider it done. Failing that a Denon DL-103 in the bakelite headshell would be a good more budget option especially if jazz vinyl is your thing (maybe with a headshell weight, again I don’t know this arm’s counterweight situation the way I do with the Series II).

Thanks for the suggestion, a DL-103 (or variant of) should work, I think, and would certainly be a fair bit cheaper than the SPU I was looking at. Bakelite headshell is presently fitted with a Shure MM of some sort which doesn't appear to be particularly heavy so I guess it would be okay for the Denon too. The Denon - like an SPU - would be period correct as well and it would be nice to do things that way.

Wow, that is very cool! A proper piece of tonearm history.

PS It astonishes me just how much A R-A got right with this first attempt in 1959. Unquestionably the first modern tonearm, and still pretty the design benchmark today. The point easy VTF, VTA, alignment, anti-skate, azimuth, damped cueing etc all came together in a truly ergonomic and beautiful design. Even now most arms fail to provide at least one aspect present on this arm.

It was a bit of a gamble purchase which turned out well, and since it arrived I have been trying to decide how best to run it as part of a 'practical classic' turntable set up. There is a lovely Goldring Lenco 88 in the pictures above which is one option, the other ones being a Garrard 301 or a Thorens TD-124 mkII. The Goldring and Garrard would both be more technically correct for the date that the SME was manufactured, though the TD-124 would be close too, with the Goldring and Thorens neck and neck for their cosmetic condition, the 301 having a light dustbug mark. It is a much nicer set of options to have to choose from than the average ballot paper :).

Nice find, @starbuck.

According to Alfred, proprietor of smetonearms.com, all SME 3009/3012 up to and including Series III included as standard the 3g AS weight (also included in the original Bias Adjuster Kit).

The original brochure has specifications and dimensions listed that are absent from the user manual, however, tonearm specs of this period rarely included compatible cartridge weight ranges.

I suspect that it will be down to the short-lived fixed end cap, to which the way rod and rider weight are attached, that will be the ultimate limiting factor here. My guess is that this was changed to being movable with Series II in order to accommodate a wider range of cartridge weights (before becoming 1 piece with the CW). Regardless, I imagine there to be sufficient room within the bakelite headshell for an additional mass plate, if necessary, even if one need be fabricated and/or drilled out in order to fit amongst the fastener pillars.

From the first SME 3009 ad...

"Each arm is complete with shell fitted with detachable pillars and fixing screws at standard 1/2" spacing. Illustration shows a Tannoy stereo cartridge in use."
Said Tannoy cartridge was a Vari-Twin, not sure how much these weighed, as cartridge makers tended not to mention this either back then.

EDIT: Seems the Vari-Twin weighed circa 12.5g!

Last edited:
I could have sworn I had a spare bias weight with a broken fishing line, but I sure as hell can’t find it! Must have already sold/given it away.

It was a bit of a gamble purchase which turned out well, and since it arrived I have been trying to decide how best to run it as part of a 'practical classic' turntable set up. There is a lovely Goldring Lenco 88 in the pictures above which is one option, the other ones being a Garrard 301 or a Thorens TD-124 mkII. The Goldring and Garrard would both be more technically correct for the date that the SME was manufactured, though the TD-124 would be close too, with the Goldring and Thorens neck and neck for their cosmetic condition, the 301 having a light dustbug mark. It is a much nicer set of options to have to choose from than the average ballot paper :).

…Or get a TD 124 MkI which was in production when your arm was made.

A nice idea but I think I may end up being found buried with them if I purchase yet another turntable! I do have an original heavy platter from a mk1 to fit to my mk2 if I want to, so can get part way there.

I could have sworn I had a spare bias weight with a broken fishing line, but I sure as hell can’t find it! Must have already sold/given it away.

I stuck a wanted up in the classifieds a few a days ago and will keep an eye on ebay, I am sure one will turn up at some point if I'm patient. Thanks for thinking of me, if it does turn up then I would certainly be interested.

Nice find, @starbuck.

According to Alfred, proprietor of smetonearms.com, all SME 3009/3012 up to and including Series III included as standard the 3g AS weight (also included in the original Bias Adjuster Kit).

The original brochure has specifications and dimensions listed that are absent from the user manual, however, tonearm specs of this period rarely included compatible cartridge weight ranges.

I suspect that it will be down to the short-lived fixed end cap, to which the way rod and rider weight are attached, that will be the ultimate limiting factor here. My guess is that this was changed to being movable with Series II in order to accommodate a wider range of cartridge weights (before becoming 1 piece with the CW). Regardless, I imagine there to be sufficient room within the bakelite headshell for an additional mass plate, if necessary, even if one need be fabricated and/or drilled out in order to fit amongst the fastener pillars.

From the first SME 3009 ad...

"Each arm is complete with shell fitted with detachable pillars and fixing screws at standard 1/2" spacing. Illustration shows a Tannoy stereo cartridge in use."
Said Tannoy cartridge was a Vari-Twin, not sure how much these weighed, as cartridge makers tended not to mention this either back then.

EDIT: Seems the Vari-Twin weighed circa 12.5g!

Thanks for the mine of info. I need to have a proper look at the headshell on my one as there may be a weight in there above the cartridge already, I just had a quick look when it first arrived and then tucked it away upstairs without a proper inspection.

I do have an original heavy platter from a mk1 to fit to my mk2 if I want to, so can get part way there.

FWIW there was no MkI/II divide here, the lighter alloy platter was available as an option for both from a certain point for compatibility with Deccas and some stronger magnet MC carts (SPUs and 103s can be used with the iron, just back the VTF back 0.25g or so).

The iron platter sounds a lot better IMHO (I have both).

I stuck a wanted up in the classifieds a few a days ago and will keep an eye on ebay, I am sure one will turn up at some point if I'm patient. Thanks for thinking of me, if it does turn up then I would certainly be interested.
The aforementioned Alfred of smetonearms.com has original AS weight and thread listed at $35 (presumably $US, despite him being here in Canada). Don't know what he's charging for shipping these days but I can't imagine it being much for such a small item. As it is British goods being returned to the UK (presumably) there exists a Canada Customs form (sticker actually) that he can fill out such that you won't be charged duty (although such a small item is likely to 'slip' through regardless).

Thanks, Craig. I assume that Alfred is the seller squareheadtubes on ebay who has them for sale in Canada(or maybe they are sourcing from him)? I had them in my ebay watch list as a possible source, and could have had it delivered to my brother in the USA to hand carry over to me to avoid any chance of import fees, though have now hopefully sourced a s/hand one here in the UK.

FWIW there was no MkI/II divide here, the lighter alloy platter was available as an option for both from a certain point for compatibility with Deccas and some stronger magnet MC carts (SPUs and 103s can be used with the iron, just back the VTF back 0.25g or so).

The iron platter sounds a lot better IMHO (I have both).

One of the cheaper SPUs is seeming the most likely choice at the moment, thank you for the advice re. tracking weight for use with the heavier platter.

Not necessarily, I have a TD124 II & a G99, but given the simplicity and lesser cost of 'bits' for 'Goldrings', and in my admittedly ancient system (Quad / Celestion) and to my even older 'ears' - there's not a lot in it.
Sadly, I don't have the 'iron' platter on my Thorens, but in operation my G99 is quieter (Ear on Plinth) than my TD 124 II, but I do miss the 'clutch' when changing discs.:)
Regards
Mike K.

One of the cheaper SPUs is seeming the most likely choice at the moment, thank you for the advice re. tracking weight for use with the heavier platter.

25164498516_da045ce342_c.jpg

My somewhat obsessive technique with an MC cart is to measure the height of the playing surface of the record from a nice flat surface (I use the strobe-light cut-out as it is so convenient), then remove the top platter/mat and position the stylus gauge measuring surface at exactly that height above the green iron platter. That way you can measure the tracking force very accurately with any magnetic attraction from the sub platter in play. With a heavy tracking cart with fairly weak magnets such as a SPU it is a very low percentage of the VTF, but I’d definitely avoid modern MCs with strong neodymium magnets and far lower tracking weights, Deccas too, sadly. A classic vintage SPU is known good with the green platter and very well documented in Thorens and Ortofon literature. IIRC the magnetic pull with the standard top-platter and mat is around 0.4g, which given it tracks at 3.5g or so is not a huge deal. If you have the taller Retrotone top platter or use a thicker mat this figure will reduce.

advertisement

Back