advertisement

SME 3009 question

The cable which came with the 3009 looks completely original, is this what original SME phono sockets looked like, never seem ones like this before?
Can you buy a 4 pin SME arm connector so that I can make up a new cable? Don't really want to mess with the arm side and fit a RCA kit and would like to just leave this old cable the way it is but don't fancy using it.

sme-plugfs.jpg
Yes, those are the early plugs that predate the custom Deltron ones.

The cable which came with the 3009 looks completely original, is this what original SME phono sockets looked like, never seem ones like this before?

That’s a very early cable, split-weight-era. I don’t think it technically belongs with your one-piece counterweight arm. I’ve certainly never seen one that late.

The plugs do crop up separately, though in this case I’d be tempted to liberate the plug as folk over-charge for them. The other alternative is to stick an RCA armbase on. That’s what I did with the one on my deck, its an official SME one, though annoyingly the price is insane now. They do crop up on eBay.

Hmm, maybe should just change to the RCA plugs and sockets.
Just checked the prices the old cables sell for on ebay, geez, about 1/3 the price I paid for the complete TD150, 3009 and Shure V15 iii !

Original SME RCA sockets with have "SME" embossed on the sides of them. The ones on your lead don't look original, but then again I'm not an SME expert.

Original SME RCA sockets with have "SME" embossed on the sides of them. The ones on your lead don't look original, but then again I'm not an SME expert.
Those are the original SME RCA sockets pictured.

A dab of Peek or Autosol and they'll be as good as new.

Putting the arm back together and I find that the rider weight has no locking screw. I tried the grubscrew from the counter weight and it's not one of those that fits as it's too big to even go in the hole. Anyone know what should be used to hold the rider weight in position?

Putting the arm back together and I find that the rider weight has no locking screw. I tried the grubscrew from the counter weight and it's not one of those that fits as it's too big to even go in the hole. Anyone know what should be used to hold the rider weight in position?

The rider-weight has a spring and a brass bung that is entirely hidden in use, it is not attached by a set screw. When setup correctly this allows it to be moved with a nice damped friction to adjust tracking weight. If yours is missing they need replacing, and I doubt there is much alternative to the correct SME parts. Here’s what they look like (eBay).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
SMEtonearms.com here in Ontario, Canada has NOS 'SME Spring & Plunger' listed at $15. The plunger looks like it could be plastic rather than the old brass bung (perhaps changed to this during the Improved years). It is the rider weight outrigger that holds this spring loaded plunger in which is why so many go missing when SMEs are taken apart.

ok, so if I push a small screwdriver down the hole in the rider weight, once I pass the wayrod hole I can feel a spring is in the other side so I'm guessing I'm just missing the plunger? Might have to fashion a makeshift plunger to get me going.

Might try that if my current plan of a small piece of light pipe for a led doesn’t work. I’ll probably need to try several different lengths to get the tension acceptable.

The plunger doesn't appear to be quite as tall as the (new) uncompressed spring.

b0dd161f1acb6454b595b865978d8bc5.image.331x260.jpg

Not sure I'd want to use a flint, might give someone a start down the road should they pull the weight off quick enough. 🔥

I can't find anything about the total weight of an SME 3009 Series 2 (unimproved). A Series V is specified with 720 grams "weight net" in the manual. I'm asking because I'm thinking of looking for a 3009 series 2 to be able to mount a DL103. I have had a series V mounted on an Oracle Delphi MK4 since 19 years. If the weight of a 3009 differs greatly from the 720 grams of the V I would have to get different springs for the Delphi chassis suspension. Or is it generally not a good idea to combine a Delphi with a 3009?

I can't find anything about the total weight of an SME 3009 Series 2 (unimproved). A Series V is specified with 720 grams "weight net" in the manual. I'm asking because I'm thinking of looking for a 3009 series 2 to be able to mount a DL103. I have had a series V mounted on an Oracle Delphi MK4 since 19 years. If the weight of a 3009 differs greatly from the 720 grams of the V I would have to get different springs for the Delphi chassis suspension. Or is it generally not a good idea to combine a Delphi with a 3009?
I've seen one or two Delphi with 3009 on. I don't see any reason for it to not be a good idea.

A 3009/3012 Series II brochure I have here has 3009 net wt. down as 0.6kg, with gross at 0.97 kg. This is the version with the fixed counter weight/outrigger at the back with sliding 'companion weight'. I suspect that a good portion of the net vs. gross weight difference will be down to inclusion of the second outrigger weight, and the arm cable.

Will have a poke round here for the other Series II brochures, as these have more information re: weights and measures than do the manuals.

I can't find anything about the total weight of an SME 3009 Series 2 (unimproved). A Series V is specified with 720 grams "weight net" in the manual. I'm asking because I'm thinking of looking for a 3009 series 2 to be able to mount a DL103.

There are a few more variables with a 3009 Series II, e.g. what era (split-weight, later one-piece counterweight), what headshell (solid, perforated, third-party, even an Ortofon SPU), is the extra rider-weight in play etc. It isn’t a heavy arm like a FR64 or Zeta, and I’d be very surprised indeed if the Oracle had any issue at all. I’m sure I’ve seen them fitted to Oracles.

As a rough idea I’ve just weighed a early-60s split-weight (no headshell, no extra rider-weight and no arm-cable) and it comes in at 455g.

Thank you both for your eloquent answers. I am not so much in the know about market prices, but this current offer makes a good first impression, link below, in condition and also in price, don't you think? He wrote that he had the cartridge revised, I didn't know it. According to my research, the Talisman B is a very early Sumiko model. I think that if the arm is in good condition, that alone corresponds to this value? I am just looking for the tone arm. I have learned meanwhile that the Shure-SME was in principal a 3009 series 2 unimproved with the heavier tone arme like I am looking for. If you have informatiin about this Shue SME, perhaps possible deviations from a pure SME 3009, weak points or similar, I would be pleased to receive information.

www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/-tonarm-sme-3009-/2618702725-172-780

The Shure/SME is the exact same thing as the standard SME offering, that is, other than for the headshell badge and label on the arm collar. A quick glance at the photos of the one you linked to indicate replacement ground leads and spade connectors, plus that AS weight isn't original.

As to the MC, Talisman B was a really special cartridge with boron tube cantilever and nude line contact tip. By describing this as "SME 3009 with system by v. t. Hul refitted, reviewed by Audio Tuning Service", I suspect that A. J. Van den Hul must have taken some time out from pushing bat-shite crazy foo to have serviced this.

Craig, would you say that I should perhaps wait again for another offer with original parts? Or is the AS weight bearable or can it be replaced later with an original one? Perhaps it is not so important as if a counter weight were wrong? I'm not under pressure, I don't really need the cartridge or what's left of it... On the other hand, I thought the price was attractive. But I haven't looked that much yet.

advertisement

Back