advertisement

SMC speaker info

SeanyP

pfm Member
I've found a pair of SMC AL22 speakers in a local s/h shop. They're a medium size floorstander (or maybe a huge standmount) with a single mid/bass driver & tweeter. The tweeter is mounted underneath the mid/bass. They look to be a transmission line design.

Can anyone shed any light on them?

I vaguely remember the SMC speakers, designed and made by a very nice and knowledgeable chap (Mike something ?) who never got the appreciation he deserved.

Your speaker was a large stand mount in the fashion of the BC1 etc - too large for a shelf, too small for the floor so needed a low trolley or stand. I think the bass driver was an 8.5 inch Bextrene jobbie with a dome tweeter. Bass loading was Transmission Line or Labyrinth.

As I remember, they sounded pretty good, perhaps a little boxey and they had a certain 'home made' charm.

That sounds like them - thanks for the info. The guy in the shop seems to think they're KEF drivers (?)

The grilles are made of metal and are quite frankly f**ked, but they'd be coming off anyway. Cabinets are solid but scruffy. They're up for £60. Does that sound reasonable?

The price is up to you but I would imagine they were only that when new. They weren't expensive speakers.

advertisement

Back