advertisement

Smart TVs and what-not.

Just bought a BT youview+ box for my aging parents, who are now struggling with the complexity of the old humax recorder + Tv.
It has Freeview, all the catch ups and recording driven from a visual program guide and what looks like a simple remote....not set it up yet.. so can't pass judgement yet, but the idea is one remote, box always on, and simple as can be..
Interesting, but my understanding is that, being a YouView box, the catch-up function in this device works by scrolling through a 7-day electronic programme guide and selecting what you want to see direct from that. That's very simple, but doesn't it mean that you are limited to only catching-up on programmes that were broadcast during the previous 7 days? Also, does it have wireless connection to the router? The one I tried a couple of years ago had to be connected to the router via ethernet, which is a pain if you want them in different rooms.
ML

Hi ML, I think the program guide goes back 2 weeks, and there are the catch up aps if you need to go further.
Yes, it is ethernet cable only. I have a couple of homeplugs for that.
Won't get to set it up until the weekend, so we'll see how it goes...
Their TV is not 'Smart', but if it were and run into problems such as you had, it should be possible to disconnect it?

Last edited:
When I got fed up paying Sky, I bought a BT 4K Freeview box. It works extremely well, but although it'll record lots of programs, we're finding we now tend to just use the catchup services.

Thanks to all for the suggestion and insights.
I have decided to solve my problem by buying a repacement Freeview box that does not have an integrated DVD player/recorder, as the old one did. This opens up the field of choice considerably and it is easy to find a machine that offers Freeview + functionality, but doesn't have all the streaming apps built-in. There is most probably no problem with duplicating the apps in both the box and the TV - many of you lot are clearly quite OK with that - but my previous experience has left me gun-shy. Cheers.
ML

advertisement

Back