advertisement

Smart Meters - some clarification

zippy

pfm Member
I've read the previous thread re smart meters. That's mostly about whether they are a good idea.

We've been waiting ages for a smart electric meter - Npower turned up to fit one a long time ago but declared 'not enough room in the box' and we would have to wait for 'generation 2'.
We waited and Npower just told us we'll get one fitted in a couple of weeks.

That's the background, now here's the dumb questions:

- is it correct that I don't have to use the in-home display ?

- I'm assuming the in-home display needs a mains socket to plug into, or do they run off batteries ?

I would struggle to find a socket to plug it into ( my new oil tank level meter just took the last one).

- I believe the smart system uses its own network to talk to Npower but is that also the way it talks to the in-home display or does that use my wifi ?

Anything else I should worry about ?

A mains socket is required. No you don't need a connection to your home WiFi. They do use wireless connectivity but it is totally separate from your homes WiFi.

If the one which was installed in my flat is standard, then you do need a socket. You're lucky, inasmuch as a Smets 1 often fails when switching suppliers, whereas Smets 2 was brought out to obviate that possibility, though there might, in time, be a fix for Smets 1s (but I doubt it). The elec. reading in my flat is either on the meter or the display, but gas reading are ONLY on my display.

I think the big question is 'what on Earth do you want one?' They don't save money, and you'll get fed up (or horrified) looking at the display after a few short weeks. There may be an advantage in the future with greater Smart meter coverage, but mainly to the companies. Some companies, though, are only offering deals on the condition of having one installed, which, i.m.o., is monstrous!

I thought (but could be wrong) that these use mobile phone signal.

Just being threatened with a smart meter, might this justify a cheaper tariff?

I know in theory a correct reading will deny E.On the massive loan they get by overestimating but they won't own up to that.

Many of the best deals now require a meter fitting within three months.
If for whatever reason a meter cannot be fitted you still get the tariff.

I just had a very red letter from them (made to look like some final demand), telling me they are obliged to fit a SMART meter. Fortunately I am not obliged (legally (yet)) to have one, so I shall ignore the offer.

Mind you there might come a time when the likes of EoN might have us in corner, in that the tariffs that work with old meters might be prohibitively expensive. Personally, I don't see any benefit of a SMART meter. Mind you, if they offered to relocate my meter to a better location then I might consider it.....but they wont be clever with their incentives.

Many of the best deals now require a meter fitting within three months.
If for whatever reason a meter cannot be fitted you still get the tariff.
I've been having a smart meter fitted within three months for over four years now. I still don't have one, but still get the smart meter tariffs, though the savings are marginal.

When they trialed water meters on the isle of Wight in the 80's, NO-ONE wanted one. There was a reason for this, it was going to cost you a LOT more to pay for your water if you let on how green your lawn was etc.
Electric smart meters however are not smart, and they can, if you can be bothered watching them all the time, save you money, but:
They can go anywhere in the house where there is a mains socket.
You don't need to look at it, ever, if you don't want to, but
if you do, and if you notice what good suck power, you can make changes to save money.
Most send your monthly reading to your supplier automatically on the mobile phone network, but not your network. They instal a small aerial somewhere if you are in a weak signal area. Otherwise, it just works.
They are free.
They'll help cut elctric usage.
We should all want one.
How can any of this be a bad thing?
Unless your paranoia extends to noting that they were made in China and therefore are secretly tracking your brain activity and, when the time is right, will send out a signal scrambling your brain (signal specifically designed to cut through tin foil helmet), whist Chinese troops wearing rubber face masks pretend to be your local vicar, thus gaining access to your soul.

Actually, I think I've just written the BBC's next drama series.

They do not help cut electrical usage.

whilst not yet on a gas/electricity meter since getting a water meter we now pay about a third of what we paid under water rates.

They do not help cut electrical usage.

not true Bob , we have been acutely aware of the differences in our consumption comapred to other family members . it makes us very conscious to look to see how we can save money . One of our family insists on filling the electric kettle full for just one cup and it helps show the differences in cost. I think they can be very effective

As per above. Ask what the situation is wrt who can get info from them if they are 'connected' by any means other than a genuinely closed link to a display *inside* your home. Consider how much scope you have to shuffle your energy use to other, inconvenient times. They are not 'free', you pay for them via your bills to the company. TANSTAAFL

not true Bob , we have been acutely aware of the differences in our consumption comapred to other family members . it makes us very conscious to look to see how we can save money . One of our family insists on filling the electric kettle full for just one cup and it helps show the differences in cost. I think they can be very effective

you do not need a meter to make those savings. Just a bit of common sense.
Indeed you could see how much the old wheel meters slowed if you fitted more efficient lights, etc.. No need for fancy meters.

As per above. Ask what the situation is wrt who can get info from them if they are 'connected' by any means other than a genuinely closed link to a display *inside* your home. Consider how much scope you have to shuffle your energy use to other, inconvenient times. They are not 'free', you pay for them via your bills to the company. TANSTAAFL

Everyone pays for smart meters, whether or not they have one.

Erm, you don't need a 'smart meter' for that. You can buy plugin power meters for devices so you can check without any energy company involvement.

advertisement

Back