advertisement

smart meter installation, or not!

Bob McC

Living the life of Riley
I got a letter this morning telling me that a company called Enterprise would be coming next Friday to change my electricity meter.

That was all.
No explanation, no request, nothing.

I immediately told them to sling their hook and that they will not get access to my property.
As fitting of smart meters is not compulsory* a little more politeness is called for from these bullies.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/01/smart_meters_yesno/

I got a letter this morning telling me that a company called Enterprise would be coming next Friday to change my electricity meter.

That was all.
No explanation, no request, nothing.

I immediately told them to sling their hook and that they will not get access to my property.
As fitting of smart meters is not compulsory* a little more politeness is called for from these bullies.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/01/smart_meters_yesno/

Bob

You will be able to do that for a few years, but soon it will be smart meters or nothing. I actually set up the contracts with a few of the utility companies for that. The old ones are being phased out.

To be honest, it is to your advantage to have a smart meter unless you are growing canabis.

Mick

I got one too. I hadn't realised it was a different type of meter, but I'm not too bothered. I'll be interested to see if they are able to install it without demolishing my kitchen. I have a feeling they won't be able to as it's in a ridiculously awkward and inaccessible part of a badly fitted kitchen unit. I suspect they won't be changing anything...

I thought the general modus for cannabis growing was to hook into the next doors supply.

Using your own leccy is strictly amateur.

Agreed, I've just phoned up and cancelled. There's nothing in it for me and I'd prefer not to waste a day waiting in for someone to mess up my kitchen (even more than it is).

There is a disadvantage if your produce your own electricity. For those with grid connected electricity production (wind, solar etc) with the old style "Edison" meters its important to hold on to them as long as possible because the meter is quite legally slowed when you export and indeed sent spinning backwards in times of excess production.

This breaks the iniquitous relationship of selling Electricity to customers at a higher rate than buying off of microgeneration producers for producing it. With the proliferation of renewable systems, its small wonder why they are anxious to do this.

Yes you are correct

Are smart meters compatible with all electricity companies or do different companies have their own specific ones? In other words, will having a smart meter installed by one company then make it more awkward to change to a different company later on who may want their own smart meter?

Are smart meters compatible with all electricity companies or do different companies have their own specific ones? In other words, will having a smart meter installed by one company then make it more awkward to change to a different company later on who may want their own smart meter?

They are all compatible and will not affect switching providers.

Originally Posted by fox
There is a disadvantage if your produce your own electricity. For those with grid connected electricity production (wind, solar etc) with the old style "Edison" meters its important to hold on to them as long as possible because the meter is quite legally slowed when you export and indeed sent spinning backwards in times of excess production.

This breaks the iniquitous relationship of selling Electricity to customers at a higher rate than buying off of microgeneration producers for producing it. With the proliferation of renewable systems, its small wonder why they are anxious to do this.

Easier to drive the current coil backward with a low resistance secondary from live supply tail to house live - using their own electricity. 2 coil meter goes backward, job done...and a bit naughty.
I daresay there will be plenty fun happening if they try to enforce rolling blackouts. I guess the smart meters will be programmed to allow rationing eg 10kW/hr per day when it comes to the final crash.

Yes you are correct

We've been out or incommunicado for six months now, they seem to have given up trying to change the meter.
i suspect they'll soon tire of sending out payments on top of the FiTs though.
Fitter visited for the windmills yesterday so we should be up and running well before the equinoctial gales.

Plus smart meters are not mandatory.
You can refuse to have one installed.
If, as is likely, the power company tell you your old meter needs replacing on safety grounds it is your right to insist the meter is fitted in dumb mode, with all the smart bits made inoperable.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the possible health hazards these meters can pose. They 'communicate' with the utility using wi-fi that is, from my understanding, stronger than your mobile and this is pulsed continuously at regular intervals.

I have read a fair amount on the subject of RMFs and I'm not convinced that the explosion of this tech in society is harmless.

Personally I try and limit the amount of RMF's around me as much as I can. I don't use wi-fi in the house, do not have a wireless phone (e.g. landline), and use mobiles very sparingly (and when I do use speaker phone if possible).

I realize that it's is difficult to avoid as this stuff is everywhere now but in my house I should have control over what is there. I'll be damned if I'm going to be forced to install one of these.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the possible health hazards these meters can pose. They 'communicate' with the utility using wi-fi that is, from my understanding, stronger than your mobile and this is pulsed continuously at regular intervals.

I have read a fair amount on the subject of RMFs and I'm not convinced that the explosion of this tech in society is harmless.

Personally I try and limit the amount of RMF's around me as much as I can. I don't use wi-fi in the house, do not have a wireless phone (e.g. landline), and use mobiles very sparingly (and when I do use speaker phone if possible).

I realize that it's is difficult to avoid as this stuff is everywhere now but in my house I should have control over what is there. I'll be damned if I'm going to be forced to install one of these.

It's a dangerous world out there. You need a Tessla suit.

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back