advertisement

Smart looking record storage - Glorious Record Vault

Somafunk

pfm Member
I was hunting for record storage to give as a Xmas present (I buy early, less hassle) for a mates son, he got into vinyl a year or so ago and since then I’ve bought him quite an amount, I found the Glorious Record Vault and it looks the part, in white as well which he’d want. He’s got enough to fill one drawer so that’d leave space.

Anyone heard of them?, used/have etc?.

I’ll probably buy him a decent turntable/active speakers for Xmas as well so the turntable could possibly sit on top. He’s only using a cheap all in one £250 turntable/speakers “thing” at the moment but really enjoys the ritual/ownership, personally I’m a 30+ year dedicated digital aficionado so I’m keeping my mouth shut and my opinions to myself, he’s into some very cool stuff, aphex twin, cocteau twins, arab strap, underworld, mogwai etc so I’m letting him get on with it.

That’s a great idea for a present. ‘Uncle’ Somafunk should be very popular!

I suppose it would have to be attached to the back wall, otherwise it looks like it could tip forwards when opening the top drawer full of records (I’ve done something similar with filing cabinets at work).

I like the concept but I wonder whether the sliding drawers will stand up to the weight of the vinyl over time.

Speaking as someone who has had to fix/bodge the sliding drawers in our IKEA wardrobe a bunch of times because the screws keep working their way out of the MDF...

I've seen Kallax 4x4 cube units looking really shaky when filled with LPs. Another drawback is they have no rear panels so LPs come into contact with the wall behind and tend to mark it (especially if that wall is painted)
At a rough guess LPs come in at about 65+Kg per linear metre.

If you want to avoid the cube look while also avoiding shelf sag you'll need some sort of reinforcement under the shelves. Mine have aluminium profiles underneath.

I've seen Kallax 4x4 cube units looking really shaky when filled with LPs. Another drawback is they have no rear panels so LPs come into contact with the wall behind and tend to mark it (especially if that wall is painted)

Easy, neat fix....
Finally got around to fixing the LP storage issue with the Kallax, where the records slide back too far, and look messy all at different depths....

53551646159_599ede26d1_b.jpg

Used some plastic angle, cut to 335mm lengths:

Stuck down with this:

All tidy now

With this you have to pull out a drawer, then thumb through until you find your disc. With a Kallax, the individual spine is there to see - winner every time

I found the Glorious Record Vault and it looks the part, in white as well which he’d want.
I don't like the look of that for multiple reasons.

I don't think a record box on runners is a good idea. Records are really heavy and most runners will eventually start to fail if you put enough weight on them. The most reliable ones are the simplest ones, as you see on most kitchen drawers these days. The ones they've used have tiny ball bearings in them, so they're really smooth and they actually take a lot of weight, but they're still going to sag etc. you'll also noticed that they're fixed to the side if the drawer, not the bottom, so the entire weight of the drawer is on the fixing screws. It doesn't matter what type of screw they've used, they're coming loose.

A big part of music is hearing more and record collections invariably expand. You'll notice that every one of the pictures shows a drawer with relatively few records in it? Why? Because it's not going to work very well if it's full. If the compartment is tightly packed with records it will be difficult to flick through them to find what you want and you'll be bending the records at the front over that low front strap if you try. Records at the back might be particularly hard to access. Do the drawers come out further? Could the unit tip if the top drawer is fully loaded and they do? The rear panel looks like it's movable and the black knurled screws holds it in place. Is that back panel and those screws really going to take the weight of a full load being pushed back when looking through the records?

For the size of the unit, the capacity sucks. Two stacked storage cubes would be smaller and I reckon hold at least fifty more records.

I wouldn't touch that unit. Records are very heavy and the best way to store them is simple, solidly constructed boxes, either individual ones or in the form of shelves. Deviate from that and you're always going to have problems. This thing is typically eye-candy **** which is not fit for purpose in my opinion and is unlikely to prove durable long term. I got a carpenter to make me a record cabinet thirty years ago, a simple plywood box but all veneered, edged etc so it looked nice. It's always been completely full and it's never sagged a millimeter. And it spent ten years also holding a three-foot wide fish tank on top! Keep it simple and you won't go wrong.

Properly-assembled Kallax are plenty sturdy enough, as long as you understand that you cannot move them with LPs in place. It's easy to improvise back-stops to prevent the records from going back too far. The Glorious cabinet costs ten times the Ikea solution, for less capacity.

Cheers for replies pointing out the obvious shortcomings, it needs to be a vertical unit as his bedroom is tiny (typical 1950’s council/housing association house). The kallax 2 box unit is only suitable for horizontal use and I wouldn’t use it vertically as I doubt the construction would last as it’d turn into a parallelogram and collapse pretty quick…..perhaps I could buy one and get my bro to rip a sheet of 6mm plywood and secure it to the back with numerous screws, but I’d be screwing into a hollow cardboard/pulp construction.

Back to the drawing board/search engines……only 6 months till Xmas ;)

I simply got a local cabinet maker to knock up a bookshelf of solid oak, 6ft high x 3ft wide and 13 inches deep. The shelves are 1" thick which was more than adequate and it's now nearly 20 years old and still looks new with no bowing whatsoever.

Being bespoke, you can dictate the size and finish etc.

I simply got a local cabinet maker to knock up a bookshelf of solid oak, 6ft high x 3ft wide and 13 inches deep. The shelves are 1" thick which was more than adequate and it's now nearly 20 years old and still looks new with no bowing whatsoever.

Being bespoke, you can dictate the size and finish etc.

I could do that myself as I did with the 2m x 800mm walnut worktop I turned into my desk 5years ago or at least get my bro to do that as my spms these days rules out doing much, possibly the best idea really but I doubt he'll want walnut, and black wenge is helluva expensive :oops:, it has to be upright so I'll investigate the price of melamine backed birch plywood.....I bet that's expensive these days, i've worked with it a few years ago so know it builds up nice.

51724319233_a597d2d68e_b.jpg

It's cheaper than you think. There are hundreds of small companies competing with the big boys such as Oakland Furniture. So it's very production line manufacture with just dimensions being changed.

I got a quotation online by looking at pics and stating dimensions.

The kallax 2 box unit is only suitable for horizontal use and I wouldn’t use it vertically as I doubt the construction would last as it’d turn into a parallelogram and collapse pretty quick….

I've stood on one, and I weigh more than 260 lbs.

Whatever inherent weakness or instability the Kallax design, construction and materials may suffer, the risk lessens with decreased size. The 5x5 may be vulnerable to catastrophe, but the 2x1 and 2x2 units are reasonably stable.

advertisement

Back