advertisement

Small standmounts/mini monitors that are good in free space

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
Research continues but most recommendations call for wall or near wall reinforcement. What small speakers sound good and balanced away from room boundaries, ie 1m+?

Hmm, classic would be nice but maybe shift this to the audio room - Tony, mods?

Proac Response D2r
Dynaudio Heritage Special
Dali Epicon 2
Harbeth Compact 7ES3 XD
Spendor Classic 2/3
Mission 770
ATC SCM19
Wilson Tunetot
Marten Oscar Duo / Duke 2

Thanks guys. I should have said, these are secondary speakers so by ‘small’ I’m not really thinking 770 size. Budget up to £1500.

Do you want to drive them with the Stereo 20? If so that limits the pack fairly substantially.

PS LS3/5As obviously need to be on the list. Second hand Falcons are doable at the price and you could likely find 11 Ohm ‘80s originals too. Inefficient, but they have a valve-friendly load. The ProAc 1SC is a great speaker that likes some space around it too.

Small Dynaudios fare well out in open space, their bass is impressive.
I’ve had Emit M10’s performing beautifully, when away from boundaries, and I can only imagine how the higher quality Evoke 10’s would sound for your requirements?
My personal speaker preference are the sealed enclosure LS3/5a derivatives but I’ve never found them to perform to my satisfaction away from a nearby wall…

This is how the room looks:

IMG-4022.jpg

The ST20 is driving the ZUs and will continue to do so. The ProAcs (Tab Ref Sig 8) are damaged and the subject of an insurance haggle, hence the question. I've moved the sofa half way down the room relative to previous images and it works well and'll stay there. Surprisingly, the ZUs haven't been wrecked by this arrangement. The Temple Audio Bantam One will drive any small speakers, essentially two systems in one, primarily to save 9 hrs a day Leak usage.

Two things put me off a sub(s): Placement and general clutter (you can see how cluttered the room is already) and a fear of earth loops that took over a month to rectify. Anything LS3/5a sized is perfect. The Audio Note AX2s sound great but they're too big. The Tab 10s and the Spender A1 is where I'm at so far but both probably need more boundary reinforcement than I can give them.

The ProAc drivers are about 1.20m from the front wall. I suspect the insurance company will not give me money so I'll probably have to buy new; 'We'll find you something at John Lewis' was their starting position.

most recommendations call for wall or near wall reinforcement

Thats my favorite position tbh.
in general I hate speakers that need to be 1M out in room.
My current Neat does not like even 30cm at my place, double that is better.
I thought the market were full of those that need space and very limited numbers can work near wall.

Back then I've had Dynaudio Focus 140 (or was it 160)
They were splendid if a bit laid back.
Needed some juice and a lot free space, much more than your picture show available.

Get them right and they're excellent.

If you really have to buy new due to insurance I’d not overlook active speakers. The recent Genelec G3 have just got a Stereophile ‘Class A’ rating and they are in budget, plus you could obviously sell the Bantams to free-up cash/space. They are configurable for position, e.g. just flick a switch between desktop, wall, free space etc. I’m not a fan of buying new kit due to depreciation and just my whole vintage audio mindset, but if I had to these would unquestionably be on my shortlist. It is unheard of that such a budget component gets a Stereophile Class A award so they are clearly doing something right. I think it was Herb who reviewed them and put them about equal but very different to his Gold Badge Falcons and crazy expensive Pass integrated. The Genelecs are about £800 each!

Yes, thanks, the Genelecs had certainly crossed my mind. Really only my dread of ground loops putting me off. Also thought about the AE1 actives (enjoyed the passives).

+1 Genelec G3 Fab little Speaker use mine with 2x18inch Subs and can fill a very large room
DCS Bartok & Lampizator Horizon both via XLR no ground loops

I’d have to go RCA. I presume you can hook actives up to a passive pre? Just to be clear, the G3s will need a power socket each and a single RCA?

I have decided to buy blind (as always) and get the Genelec 8030C, essentially the G3 in pro form and cheaper. Phil March/Phonography will make me a couple of RCA>XLR to hook up a Khozmo.

If anyone’s interested, I got them here: https://www.andertons.co.uk/ I bought two of the last 3 but they advised me to wait until new stock arrives later this week so I have.

I’m looking forward to it, the only active speakers I’ve had to date are the Audioengine A2. They might be better than those.

advertisement

Back