advertisement

Small speakers for loft room

Gza

pfm Member
looking for some speakers to go in the loft bedroom. speakers will either be placed on a bookshelf or if they can be wall mounted so need to accommodate close to wall. unfortunately no space for stands. amp is a roksan k2 and budget is £1.5k. also willing to buy 2nd hand but harder to audition then. any tips welcomed.

Dali Oberon 1. Outstanding for their size, have slots on the back to hang with, and the better the amp, the better they get. Best of all, cheap as chips for a cracking performance.

I doubt you need to spend anywhere near £1.5k. Why don’t you get 2 or 3 pairs of secondhand speakers where you can make your money back on the ones you don’t like? Unless you have a massive loft and/or high decibel listening your amp should give you very pleasurable sounds with any of the following:

Linn Kans (newer models) - a bit on the dry side but nice sounds
Totem Mite - very neutral (I used these very successfully as bedroom speakers with an Arcam Solo)

The only small speakers that showed the Mites a clean pair of heels was Boenicke W5 but you are unlikely to get these for under £2k and they are deeper size wise than the others so not sure whether they work on a wall

Guru Junior or Guru 12 would be on my shopping list.
They are designed to be against the wall and they have a tremendous bass despite their small size.
I don’t know about their actual price though, used or bran new.

Based on my experience, if the room has a pitched ceiling, you may struggle to accommodate ported speakers.
If the speakers are to go against a wall, ported speakers are not in the running for optimum performance. Rear ported ones are a total no-no of course. Must admit, I can't see the relevance to the ceiling type though.

O.p., why bookshelf? Floor=mounts like, e.g., Naim's SBLs are small yet sonically capable. Besides, speakers on shelves is a compromise of performance i.m.o. Brackets (which I have in my office) may be a better option.

If the speakers are to go against a wall, ported speakers are not in the running for optimum performance. Rear ported ones are a total no-no of course. Must admit, I can't see the relevance to the ceiling type though.

O.p., why bookshelf? Floor=mounts like, e.g., Naim's SBLs are small yet sonically capable. Besides, speakers on shelves is a compromise of performance i.m.o. Brackets (which I have in my office) may be a better option.
Just not enough space for floorstanders as theres other furniture in the room. It's used as a bedroom for guests and will be my home office as well. I have a pair of dynaudio excite x12's that will go in there for the time being, but I find I need to turn the volume up on them to enjoy them, and they are rear ported.

Appreciate the responses.

looking for some speakers to go in the loft bedroom. speakers will either be placed on a bookshelf or if they can be wall mounted so need to accommodate close to wall. unfortunately no space for stands. amp is a roksan k2 and budget is £1.5k. also willing to buy 2nd hand but harder to audition then. any tips welcomed.
Not sure about close to wall but I had 2nd gen AE1's bought in the 2010's era.
I sadly sold them.

My vote would be Wilmslow Audio LS3. Very similar design to a Linn Kan and demand to be placed against the wall.

Fabulous little things at a very sensible price (£950 fully built by Wilmslow in a wide range of finishes).

Reactions: Gza
https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/q7-completeathome-loudspeaker-system.html

q7_ear_best_buy_product_shot.jpg

Second hand baby ATC, either the 7 or the 11, (the 19 will likely be over budget), but sealed box design will work well as near field listening monitors.
Or as mentioned the LS3/5a, but these can get expensive.
Or the old Cura speakers are a good option.

How about a pair of Proac Tablette speakers the latest 10's are circa £1500 brand new but lots of good used examples on E,Bay for way, way below that. My son has a pair of earlier version Tablettes in a small room. they work very well albeit a little bass light but for their size, still respectable.

How about a pair of Proac Tablette speakers the latest 10's are circa £1500 brand new but lots of good used examples on E,Bay for way, way below that. My son has a pair of earlier version Tablettes in a small room. they work very well albeit a little bass light but for their size, still respectable.
I always end up back with a pair of ProAc bookshelves and a REL sub in my study, going back to the 90’s. Tried all sorts, something about the ProAc sound sig suits my ears, like to try other makes every now and then just to see what’s out there. At work I have some Dali that are very nice and not expensive, with OP budget though I’d look for some nice Tablettes as Alun says.

advertisement

Back