advertisement

Small speaker help

pzblues

pfm Member
Hi
I've been using my mordaunt short ms10i classic for years now, they are nice with a rosewood veneer finish quite rare i think. The sound is ok although i'm sure i could do a lot better. Anyway, to cut to the chase i am looking for recommendations, a small(ish) standmount to compliment my naim nait5i and several sources inc sb duet, any help much appreciated.

pz

thanks for the reply, smallish room, budget, 300-400. i have ms10i 'classic' not to be confused with standard ms 10i ;)

Used Proac Studio 110, my mate has them on the end of a Naim CD5/Nait5 and they sound very good.

I must yet again recommend Leema Xeros. You'll love 'em. The MS10's are top class little speakers, but the Leemas are a dozen leagues ahead.

Should be able to find a pair for £300 or so and even at twice that are a bargain.

Leema Xeros +1
Had a pair in mahogany. Only got £250 for them. Can easily compete with speakers at double that price and maybe triple.. Highly recomend them but be careful on positioning. You wont get better at the price IMO.

Hear what you are saying and i agree but you cannot compete with the convenience, i use sb through a spitfire dac and although not as good as my genki cdp it really aint that bad.

convenience or SQ. Digital is digital is digital when fed to a DAC!

Of course, it's all a matter of taste but you could do a lot worse than a pair of Tannoy Revolution 1's. I've used mine with any number of amps and DAC's and they never fail to impress. Not fussy and have a wonderful soundstage and great bass - nicely finished veneer in real tree too. I bought my minty ones for £95 - a real steal. Easy to move on if they don't float your boat!

Hi,

I used to have a pair of MS10i speakers (Actually MS10i Pearls).

Now I have two pairs of speakers, a main pair for the lounge and a secondary pair for the kitchen.

The kitchen ones are small standmounts, Rega R1s. These are quite close to the Rega RS1s you can buy new now, if that is your preference. So, you should be able to find a dealer to demonstrate the RS1s quite easily. They aren't too far off your price range, I think. The R1s aren't the most detailed but they have a warm, forgiving quality about them. Very easy to get on with. Careful with the speaker terminals, which can be a bit fragile, as I know from experience!

The lounge ones are small floorstanders. I know you said you were looking for standmounts, but I really think you ought to consider broadening your search. A small floorstander can do better bass in the same footprint as a standmount, is no more visually imposing, and you don't have to buy stands so you can spend more on the speakers! If I've convinced you, these speakers are Royd Minstrels. They are in a different class to the Regas and the Mordaunt Shorts, much more revealing of good (and bad) recordings. A wonderful joined up, immersive quality, with a good recording and source, and reasonable quantities of bass considering. Best at low to moderate volumes though. They are only available second hand, cost around £150, and you should be careful to avoid any with gummed-up drivers.

I'm using them with a Naim NAC 62 preamp and an Avondale modified NAP 140.

Speakers are the most varied hi-fi component, and different people like different things. It is important to listen before buying, and best of luck!

Kind regards

- Garry

Opted for a pair of AVI Neutron's, very happy with them, gutted though that i now may have to let my Mordaunt Short Ms10 Classic(not to be confused with the inferior ms10i/ms10i pearl :) ) go.. Any views on the neutrons???

Opted for a pair of AVI Neutron's, very happy with them, gutted though that i now may have to let my Mordaunt Short Ms10 Classic(not to be confused with the inferior ms10i/ms10i pearl :) ) go.. Any views on the neutrons???

They are superb. You'll love 'em.

Like a bit of horsepower for big volume though.

advertisement

Back