advertisement

Small desktop amp

According to me, Project makes good entry level turntables but their electronic is really so so.
I've only tried a couple of other units, but the S2 FM tuner is actually really good and the RS series phono stage was excellent also. I think they fall down on their amps and DACs. Some of their more expensive t/ts are v good too IMHO.

Shite TT's but not bad amps I would say!
Well, I had their first generation of headphones amp and it was very electronic sounding and not really musical and enjoyable. I replaced it with a Channel Island VHP-2 and this one is now a keeper for me, much more dynamic and lively without being harsh at all.
Maybe Project improved over time ?

Interesting - What connectivity issues did you have, and which dealer did you send it back to ?
Hi - I just ordered it through ebay I think and got a refund - off the top I can't remember the dealer. Not real issues with actual connectivity, jut the size and weight of the amp (not much ) versus the size and inflexibility of plugs and cables!

Always been happy with my Project RS Box CD Transport.

I think the only Project electronics I've had is one of their Tube Box phono preamps and it's been fine and also sounds good. My first proper turntable was a Project and I've still got one now (a Debut III) and it's not noticeably worse that the 3 Rega's we currently have - either from a build or a sound quality perspective.

Been very happy with the slimline MaiA, loads of inputs/options, no connectivity issues. Feeding Zensor 3 at present but worked a treat with LX2 and some MA Vector + Sub.

I already ordered the new Ophidian Minimo speakers which are among the smallest available and have a nice veneer finish.

How do you like them? I picked up one of the last pairs of the original Minimo and I think they're really great for the size. In retrospect, I could (maybe should) have gone for something more LS3/5A sized but I know these can fit anywhere! Wonder how the Minimo 2 sounds in comparison.

How do you like them? I picked up one of the last pairs of the original Minimo and I think they're really great for the size. In retrospect, I could (maybe should) have gone for something more LS3/5A sized but I know these can fit anywhere! Wonder how the Minimo 2 sounds in comparison.
Sorry, didn't see your post earlier.
I like them very much. I also own a set of Harbeth P3ESR. Haven't done a direct comparison and didn't have the opportunity for extensive testing. I use them in a desktop set-up, They are very imrpessive, given their size: they manage to fill a largish room (4x5.5 m, 3.5 m high) with sound. I don't drive them very hard as I don't like to play very loud. They're clear and have sufficient bass extension to reproduce a full orchestra and also pop music with bass.
At low volume they also perform well, although I believe my other speakers (Ampion Ion, Harbeth P3ESR) do that somewhat better at very low volume (the Minmo's lose a bit more detail I think).

They sound clear and detailed to me, giving a faithful reproduction of the sound. They do not, however, have the Harbeth magic. The Harbeths can really sound as if the singer is in the room with you. But for the purpose I bought them (desktop near field set-up), the Minimos perform well indeed. They are really small but perform like a much larger speaker.

They sound clear and detailed to me, giving a faithful reproduction of the sound. They do not, however, have the Harbeth magic. The Harbeths can really sound as if the singer is in the room with you. But for the purpose I bought them (desktop near field set-up), the Minimos perform well indeed. They are really small but perform like a much larger speaker.
That sounds great. I would think that P3ESR, Tablette 10, or similar would have to outperform given additional size of the drivers and cabinets to work with, but the Minimo is certainly an impressive stand-in for the space-constrained. With mine in near-field, I find they're best when angled directly at the sweet spot, which means toe-in and slightly tilted upwards.

I was more than happy with my ProJect Debut,certainly wasn't shite in my opinion
I think he refers to how they are put together. I believe he had one where the arm was attached with Pritt Stick or somethin*now that ilk. May be so.

I’ve just bought a Yamaha WXA-50 for a small system. Brilliant bit of kit, sounds great and quite powerful too. Can stand it upright as well, mine is behind a TV so can’t even see it. Delighted.

Rega IO seems the way to go. Never heard one but Rega always make excellent kit so you won't go wrong.

Otherwise a Cyrus amp will fit the bill. Many models over the year. No duds so a wide choice.
Any built in the last decade or so usually include a decent dac if you want digital inputs and minimal boxes.

advertisement

Back