advertisement

SM bread best before it's baked? How silly is that?

Here's one for us to chew on: donkey's years.

I had never given it that much thought, assuming there was some old link between donkeys and a long time. Then I heard someone say donkey's ears and it occurred to me that it's rhyming slang and I've been saying it wrong for don...

The SM bread is likely shipped frozen, and is spending days more in that state than the manufacturer hoped.

People who use 'are' in place of 'our' are certainly showing up more often....

Last edited:
You’re your. Should have Should of. Are our.
It’s phonetic piphle I tell ya.

Quite astounding though that the gibbering few can translate their mutterings into incorrect written words, “should of” merits being shot. End ov.

Last edited:
“should of” merits being shot

Agreed; 'of' is a preposition; 'have' is an auxiliary to the modal verb, should. This stuff keeps me on my toes !:)

WITH hindsight, not In hindsight.(With the benefit of.....; with foresight). If you must use a 'in', try retrospect'.

Can't believe this thread has lasted 2 posts, let alone 2 pp. pfm eccentricity rising to the sourdough challenge, maybe.

My 400g sourdough loaf from Sainsbury's has a label saying 'best before' that date when it's put on shelves/baked. How can anything be best before it's able to be consumed?

Of course, pointing this out to bakery staff elicits blank stares or a non-committal grunt. This labelling is fairly recent, as previously it was 'best BY', which is, of course, entirely possible.

My Microsoft Windows sign-in panel has the sentence 'I forgot my PIN' underneath the box. Wrong tense! How can an enormous company make and maintain such a basic English language error?

The proliferation of 'your' instead of 'you're' on pfm posts in recent years tends to indicate falling standards of education in our native and globally prime language. Forget spelling errors, typos and the odd confusion (its/it's); this one seems to be increasing; I wonder why, esp. as it's one word against a contraction of two words.
The best before is for in store use only, I'm guessing. As in "bake by". If that's what they mean though they should put that.

“Bare in mind” is a commonly seen mistake on these pages.

Please bear in mind that the concept here is that one is holding or carrying an idea in one’s mind.

The best before is for in store use only, I'm guessing.

Nope; how can it be when the label is applied to the finished product as it goes on sale?

Language is constantly changing, use best get used to it :p :D

Yes, esp. English, with all its global variations. However, the changes are in vocabulary, not grammar/structure. There might be a 'loosening' of grammatical use over decades, but these are minimal and far between. Without a firm structure, you don't have a recognised language, esp. where Roman or Cyrillic alphabets are used.

“Bare in mind” is a commonly seen mistake on these pages.

New to me and that's the naked truth, if only imaginary !:D

“Outside of the building”

You mean “Outside the building”?

Too often, sentences are padded with unnecessary words.

Nope; how can it be when the label is applied to the finished product as it goes on sale?
In that case somebody has screwed up. My guess is that they are copying the "bake by" date which is for their own use to the retail pack post bake. Complain to the manager.

advertisement

Back