advertisement

Slumming it with the backup system

cctaylor

pfm Member
One of the 250s in my late father's Linn/Naim tri-amp system has lost a channel so time for a full overhaul of the Naim components. The amps have had one service in their 40+ years history. The 32 NAXO & SNAPS have never been touched.

I have dug out the NAP120 that I previously used in my study before I inherited my dad's system and hooked them up to Videoton Minimax speakers. At least I'll be able to listen to music while I'm waiting for the Naim components to come back.

It will be very interesting to see how the 40 year old system sounds after a service. I remember, as a student, hearing this setup at the public launch demonstration in an Edinburgh hotel. I was blown away, and my enthusiastic phone call home resulted in dad making yet another trip to Russ Andrews in Northumberland Street. He was one of the first to buy a Tri-amp system. The Isobariks are s/n 13 & 14, the SNAPS 007 & the NAXO 010!

I am currently slumming it too. House is not habitable as an extension is being built. So listening to a Qobuz on a Lehmann Limetree Network through my Auralic Taurus headphone amp and Dan Clark Aeon 2 closes back cans. Rather good actually.

I've been in a similar position for the last two and a half months: enforced downsizing. For the first month or so I was slumming it with a cheap DAB radio due to home improvements that took place in my bedroom, kitchen and living room (thermal plasterboard was retrofitted and then a period of decoration ensued). The best I've been able to manage, after buying a NAP100 a couple of weeks ago, is to hook-up my Android media player to the NAP using a 3.5mm>phono cable and listen to music in a near-field setup through my Kralk Audio BC-30s. Admittedly, this sounds a lot better than music from my cheap kitchen radio, but what I've learned is that I'm the weakest link in my system. If I can enjoy music from a cheap kitchen radio then that lets me know the problem - whenever any dissatisfaction occurs - is probably down to me. Heck, I even plonked my LP12 on the floor and placed a Denon DM-41 between the TT and the NAP (using its 3.mm headphone socket) and even records sounded pretty darn good - pretty darn good when you have no expectations!

I actually expect to downsize on purpose when I get round to getting my living room back in shape. I'm still working on the plan but, in a nutshell, the plan is less is more.

Lovely story about your late fathers system and looking after it and honoring him and your memory of him looking after it.

I sadly lost my 90 year old music loving father last year and inherited some Celistion Ditton speakers he had for which I have in my study system.And other pieces of hardware.Also boxes and boxes of cassette tapes.
Luckily I still use tape and have 4 decks 2 Nak's and a Tandberg 3014 A a beast of a deck so its been great fun discovering his library.

Hope the Naim kit comes back with new life in it - Enjoy

Lovely story about your late fathers system and looking after it and honoring him and your memory of him looking after it.

I sadly lost my 90 year old music loving father last year and inherited some Celistion Ditton speakers he had for which I have in my study system.And other pieces of hardware.

In a similar fashion, albeit some time ago, when my mother passed away my sister inherited the Rotel/Rogers system and she has as a result rediscovered records.

I'm pleasantly surprised how musical the temporary system is. The Videoton Minimax had a reputation which exceeded their price in 70s. Luckily the driver surrounds are still intact. Previously I was using them in a near-field situation as my previous study was located in a small single bedroom sized room.

advertisement

Back