advertisement

SLR for A level photography course - help requested

mark121211

pfm Member
My daughter is embarking on a A-level in photography, needs an SLR camera and I know next to nothing about cameras.

The advice from her tutor is that they will need to independently set the aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

A basic lens is all that is required to get started (18mm-55mm). Ideally it should have a hot shoe with remote trigger.

What sort of budget do i need, any recommendations of makes / models and shouid I be looking to buy new?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I would have though 29mile's D3500 would have been an ideal choice for her - not related.

Used to teach A level photography at a mixed FE/HE university college moons ago - I take it she's NOT looking for a film camera.
DGP

I would ask what the college uses, likely to be Canon or Nikon, if you buy the same brand as the college uses then it likely that loan lenses may become available for specific projects as part of her course.

I would ask what the college uses, likely to be Canon or Nikon, if you buy the same brand as the college uses then it likely that loan lenses may become available for specific projects as part of her course.

this is what I would ask. Ask if the school has lenses they loan out in class etc, what brand and fit.

Our photography degree asks students to buy canon cameras, as they only keep canon lenses in their lending library....

I'll add that since everything has gone mirrorless, there are heaps of good priced canon/nikon cameras second hand at places like Park Cameras. They will also be able to put a kit together for you, and advise as to the best option for exactly this sort of case. I'd have expected 200-300 to cover the camera + lens in the second hand market without any problem.

I had the same question about 12 years ago, my daughter went with a Nikon D60 then, because it had automatic and manual controls and because she could use the lenses I had bought for my D80!

I learned photography using a 1950's fixed lens Contaflex :0)

Hard to go wrong with something like this:
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-eos-40d-digital-slr-camera-body-used-3122379/

Canon XXD series cameras were for enthusiasts and have build quality a noticable notch above XXXD cameras which are too small and feel like a plastic toy.

The equivalent in Nikon is DXXX, for Nikon DXX are the cheaper entry level cameras.

Canon cameras were more popular in the market in the early DSLR era so are better value on the used market now IMO.

What Mr Pespective said above.... find out what the college uses because they may have lenses for that make of camera the students can take out on loan.

Don't buy any Canon camera with no central flash hot pin, because they wont be easily able to use it with portable flash or in the studio (shame on Canon for making some of their entry level camera without this).

https://petapixel.com/2019/05/03/ca...el-dslrs-incompatible-with-3rd-party-flashes/

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-eos-40d-digital-slr-camera-body-used-3122379/

Canon XXD series cameras were for enthusiasts and have build quality a noticable notch above XXXD cameras which are too small and feel like a plastic toy.

The equivalent in Nikon is DXXX, for Nikon DXX are the cheaper entry level cameras.

Canon cameras were more popular in the market in the early DSLR era so are better value on the used market now IMO.

I thought the lower number the better with Nikons.

Pete

I would recommend any camera with two control wheels. They make manual exposure a breeze.

The great advantage of the xxD & xD Canons is their having two control wheels. I went from a 100D to a 6D & the latter is *so* much easier to use - a true joy, in fact. It seems ridiculous that entry level ILCs can be made so cumbersome in handling & operation. In my film heyday the entry level, dead simple, manual-only Pentax K1000 was the ubiquitous students camera.

Nikons "amateur" APS-C nomenclature changed after the entry level D60 & enthusiast D90. From entry level to midrange to enthusiast, it went D3xxx, D5xxx, & D7xxx. Again, I'd recommend a model with two control wheels. The D90 can be had for very little & is still a very good camera imo.

The semi-pro D100, D200, D300, & D500 Nikons are APS-C cameras. The D6xx, D7xx, & D8xx cameras are full frame models.

I owned a 7D for a bit, a great body but it is worth mentioning that it is quite bulky and heavy.

Also, I seem to notice youngsters preferring the read LCD to the viewfinder for framing so a mirrorless with an EVF might be a better option (maybe ask her?).

advertisement

Back