advertisement

Slide vs Negative

And another scan of a slide from the mid 1970s of my uncle Elvis during his Vegas phase. It's possible I took the picture, though if I did I was a wee lad at the time.

CWC67em.jpg

I suppose everyone with an interest in film and scanning comes at this differently, but I'm more interested in scanning old slides than taking pictures now on slide film, then scanning them. It's partially because of the results and mostly because of the cost and effort.

Joe

Last edited:
And another scan of a slide from the mid 1970s of my uncle Elvis during his Vegas phase. It's possible I took the picture, though if I did I was a wee lad at the time.

CWC67em.jpg

I suppose everyone with an interest in film and scanning comes at this differently, but I'm more interested in scanning old slides than taking pictures now on slide film, then scanning them. It's partially because of the results and mostly because of the cost and effort.

Joe

I always picture Priscilla as a blonde for some reason... Thanks for straightening me out.

Kodak Ektar is a nice colour neg film imho. The colour pop more like slide film with a bit more latitude.

TBH film excels if you want characterful B&W imho.

In my view that is good and bad. Bad because you will sometimes have to explore the subject from different angles, particularly in street photography, to make 'the' photo.
It's called "working the scene".

I get what you mean, but for me it is only a hobby. Therefore I don’t mind leaving the alternative angles as ideas to try next time I am shooting a similar subject. When digital first came out I was initially thrilled at the ability to shoot loads of similar images but the fun was sucked out of it when sorting through hundreds of images looking for the keepers.

I feel for the guys shooting ‘BIF’ at 30 frames a second. These guys capture thousands of images each time they go out. Finding the keepers out of those is not my idea of fun.

I've done only a bit of street photography and it's extremely difficult to do well. I've never had an opportunity to work a scene or to try a different angle. I either got the shot or, much more often, missed taking anything worth keeping.

Joe

Whole other subject is how to approach street photography. For me the biggest hurdle is being sure one respects the right of the individual. That said, I’ve occasionally taken a pic with unknowing subjects in scene.

Umm.

I’ve got a little light box slide viewer. Perhaps I can use my iPhone to take an image using that?*

Failing that, given I’d be happy if one or two images from a 36 roll were worthy of sharing perhaps there’s a service one can send a few occasionally to to get done?

*Yes, I am joking
I have not done it often, but I have converted negatives (B&W and colour) by photographing the negative using a screw-on magnifying filter/lens and reversing the image using picasa.

IMG-0562.jpg

This is one of the slides I copied using slide projector and digital camera. It is not great technically - I cropped the digital image to half size and used my iPad to capture the image on the desk top monitor (for complicated reasons). But the value to me of the image of my daughter (who is now in her early 50s) far outweighs the technical shortcoming.

This is one of the slides I copied using slide projector and digital camera. It is not great technically - I cropped the digital image to half size and used my iPad to capture the image on the desk top monitor (for complicated reasons). But the value to me of the image of my daughter (who is now in her early 50s) far outweighs the technical shortcoming.
Goodness, that drink looks like something you might get from the Wicked Witch of the West!

@Whaleblue

As far as film goes it would be Fuji Velvia slide for me all the way ...

If you have a digital camera then simply photographing the slides using a dedicated slide attachment or a copy stand setup is the way to go both cost wise and for work flow IME.

I have a very expensive and fully serviced Nikon Coolscan and have compared the results I get with a copy stand set up and there is very little to tell between them - except the copy stand was infinitely cheaper to put together.

If you don't have a digital camera then any reasonable one will do - doesn't have to be new or high resolution, I have used an ancient Olympus micro 4/3 with some macro rings and it was just fine.

copy stand by mik tec, on Flickr

Failing that, given I’d be happy if one or two images from a 36 roll were worthy of sharing perhaps there’s a service one can send a few occasionally to to get done?

I have used this place in the past - they are good and usually fast. They have a wide range of film related services including scanning existing film

Ian,

Wow, slide film's gone up a lot. I have gold in my freezer!

Joe

And that doesn’t include processing - which again I’d completely underestimated the cost of! I’ll use the four rolls I bought, and get them processed professionally, but at an overall £1+ a picture this will be a special event only thing.

As the intention was to get out and enjoy photography again I’ve come to my senses and traded in my big old Nikon, plus the little Fuji X10 against a lovely s/h Olympus OM-D E-M1 II plus ex-demo 12mm prime. See you in the competition threads I hope!

advertisement

Back