advertisement

slide shows

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
Did one last night, starting with pictures of my daughter's birth (well, just after her birth) up to some photos I snapped of her a couple of weeks ago. It was great fun and my daughter was mesmerized seeing herself projected on a 6x6-foot screen as we flipped through time, slide by slide.

Anyone still do slide shows? I imagine they were always seen as a boring and nerdy dad thing, but with Kodak's having discontinued production of both projectors and carousels in 2004 I suspect slide shows have become a tiny niche of a boring and nerdy dad thing. (Being one to forsake fashion and buck the latest of trends, I did nerdy niche dad stuff well before I was even married, let alone before I was a father, so behind the times am I.*)

On the flip side, if you're interested in shooting and projecting slides you can get a used 35mm film camera, a stack of carousels and a nice projector for peanuts. I've seen Kodak projectors for as little as $20.

slide_projector_sm.jpg

I had so much fun last night that I’m half seriously thinking about getting a medium-format slide projector, if I can find a good one for a hundred clams or so.

Joe

* I think I've become a George McFly.

We have super eight cine film shows and they've become a family event. I've got some early silent 16mm Laurel and Hardy films too, which get an airing now and again :)

I picked up a 35mm slide projector a couple of months back since i've been doing E6 at home, and because my son showed some interest. I've not yet managed to get him snapping with abandon onto slide film, but we've a holiday coming up next week, so there is a chance we'll get some done then.

We'll be in the mountains, so there will be enough light for ISO50 films, so I should give some velvia a go...

Cesare

Cesare,

The ISO 50 Velvia is nice, but if you need an exta stop to play with try the 100 ISO version.

Note that Fuji makes two 100 ISO Velvia emulsions -- 100 and 100F. I prefer the non-F one, as it's basically a faster regular Velvia, but you might want to try both to see if you have a preference.

Joe

I think i've got a 5-pack of plain velvia 100 in 120 format at home, but no 35mm. I'll have a look on their website and see if I can understand any benefits between the choices...

Cliff,

Get rid of the F. I don't know what Fuji was thinking with that film.

Joe

Cliff,

Get rid of the F. I don't know what Fuji was thinking with that film.

Joe

Yup, the "F" is a pain in the Ar$e, you have to use a white card adjustment method when scanning. Can't imagine analog printing can be much fun either as you will need some weird filtering to correct. Maybe a reddish filter on your projector would do it ;-)

advertisement

Back