advertisement

Sleaford Mods - T.C.R.

Sleaford mods were great initially....then you realise it's all the same, boring now.

To be fair their first release was in 2007. Myself included, we all missed the boat by several degrees.

9 years of lyrics with backing music, delivered deadpan (?) A pretty good track record really.

Bloss

I'm a relative newcomer to this mob (last two years) and regret my wasted years dithering before getting into them.

A wonderful irreverent band, sharp and funny and a little more varied than at first they appear. Pils example above is brilliant and startling if you follow it to the end. You might also look at 'chefs omelette' and 'chop chop chop' as good examples of their older stuff ,sorry can't seem to do the embed thing, (sampling wire and I think pistols roadrunner riffs). They've distanced themselves a little from the earlier work, partly I think because samples weren't cleared, i guess theyv'e moved on somewhat and Williamson has his new collaborator providinghis own compositions as backing tracks.

I saw them recently at the roundhouse and the hundred club and they are a storming live act, although some of the wit can be lost if you don't know the material which is shot through with great lines.

You might draw some comparisons with carter but i'd expand that to include elements of the fall, I ludicrous, john cooper clarke and classic angry punk. Pretty good company if you ask me.

I got a TCR in about er 1979? Anyway, it was the first year they bombarded ITV with advertising. It was terrible and did not work at all after about 5 minutes. Upon return to school in January, I found I was not alone in the disappointment.

Its shitness does not get a mention in the song, does it?

I got a TCR in about er 1979? Anyway, it was the first year they bombarded ITV with advertising. It was terrible and did not work at all after about 5 minutes. Upon return to school in January, I found I was not alone in the disappointment.

Its shitness does not get a mention in the song, does it?

I am sure they slotted it in somewhere.

Bloss

The consequences of posting before acquiring freely available information look very much like this.

Still, take it easy, or maybe not.

I think richglib was 'avin' a giggle about TCR, the Scalextric discount version. A tad smaller track/cars from memory, and a load of shite quality wise.

If he was slagging off the Mods , we'll f... him. :)

Bloss

No not at all, I don't mind the song. I must have heard it a hundred times, it was playlisted on 6music for seemingly ages, which is on in my warehouse most of the time.

I recall listening out for them singing about tcr but never picked up anything other than the hookline.

Forum life huh? It's cruel.

Their lingo not the easiest, it does takes concentrated listening, only of course if you can enjoy it.

Bloss

I meant I was really hoping they were going to echo my memories of tcr and sing about how shit it was. it didn't actually change lanes at all for the half hour it did anything.

I meant I was really hoping they were going to echo my memories of tcr and sing about how shit it was. it didn't actually change lanes at all for the half hour it did anything.

It would be interesting to know how they could possibly be interested in echoing your memories. Perhaps they are spititualists.

Bloss

Ps: I doubt if tcr existed in their lives, so far.

TCR is not a great SM song in my opinion, but there do seem to be some crackers forthcoming on the new LP judging by what I heard at the 100 club.

Their lingo not the easiest, it does takes concentrated listening, only of course if you can enjoy it.

Bloss
Maybe Niles Crane could do a cover album, for all you middle class types :D , may not have the same impact, but boy would that be fun.

The lyrics don't explicitly say how shit it was but my understanding of the song is about how the sense of disappointment and futility surrounding something like TCR follows you into adulthood and, in the case of the narrator, his attempts to have a night out in the pub.

Seaford Modzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

advertisement

Back