advertisement

SL1200G Owners - what cartridge are you using?

Currently using a Lyra Delos - quite happy with it
Fancy a Kleos SL next, heard a couple Lyra carts and been impressed. The Cadenza Bronze was a bit of a punt as I’ve not really been smitten by the Ortofons I’ve had but is was offered with a big discount start of lockdown, real pleased with how it sounds.

Fancy a Kleos SL next, heard a couple Lyra carts and been impressed. The Cadenza Bronze was a bit of a punt as I’ve not really been smitten by the Ortofons I’ve had but is was offered with a big discount start of lockdown, real pleased with how it sounds.
You’re playing in a higher league than me :). I’m trying to spend less, not more. BTW I’ll have the SME arm board tomorrow.

The headshell on technics sl1200g is excellent, it’s cast and has azimuth adjustment. Swap the stock cartridge wires for some ortofons, or similar, and you’re away.
My cartridge of choice is the Denon Dl110, I just found it to sound sweeter and more agile than the Goldring G1042. Slightly more attenuation is needed as the output isn’t as high as a MM. The SL1200G is the finest HiFi component I ever purchased!

….Yes, it’s a high output MC so it’s not quite as loud as an MM cartridge, I reckon 85% of the volume output. This can be a good thing if attenuation on your amp has little adjustment travel (Naim for example).

….Yes, it’s a high output MC so it’s not quite as loud as an MM cartridge, I reckon 85% of the volume output. This can be a good thing if attenuation on your amp has little adjustment travel (Naim for example).

I get that. So why would you want to lessen that output? An attenuator reduces the power of a signal. If you were using variable attenuation you'd want less attenuation, not more surely.

Ummm….depends whether you are using an analogue or electronic volume control. I just wanted to inform anyone thinking of a high output MC that it’s not as loud as MM.
Analogue volume pots tend to have a much smaller volume range than electronic. In my case the Supernait is loud at 8 o’clock position and really loud at 9 o’clock position with an MM cartridge. Swapping out for an HOMC has given a much nicer smoother volume range from 8 to 10 on the Supernait.

advertisement

Back